You'll love our meatloaf recipe with it's slightly sweet tomato based sauce topping. In a large mixing bowl, knead together the ground beef, onion, bread crumbs, milk, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, basil, oregano, pepper, and red pepper flakes. My mother was from Louisiana and made this when I was growing up in the 50s. So good. It is really good on biscuits and can pretty much smother any crispy, deep-fried meat excluding seafood. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Flipping it out of the loaf pan gives more surface edge to bake and its not just cooking in all the fat that might be in the ground beef. We gussied-up the flavor but made the method even easier with this slow-cooker meatloaf recipe. This was really delicious! Husband agreed! While you can certainly store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days to eat throughout the week, we recommend taking a couple of slices of bread and turning your leftover meatloaf slices into a hearty sandwich for lunch. Instead of baking it in the oven I used my crock pot - 6 hours on low heat - because I had FOOTBALL to watch. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees F. Spoon off fat. Stir in broth until smooth. Very good recipe. For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. Serve this with mashed potatoes and green peas to round out a classic meal. You might also like:Pulled Pork BBQ in the Oven, Or, maybe this one? Place in a large mixing bowl. Recipe: Slow Cooker Tomato-Basil Meatloaf. Add more and continue to press it together as you fill the loaf pan. Im from southeast Alabama and my mom made this all the time when we were kids. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Thanks again. Stir together tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce until well blended. Mix with spoons or hands until fully combined. Our Test Kitchen called this new dinner classic "a home run of a recipe," and we have a feeling you'll agree. For the glaze, mix ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard in a small bowl. I didnt have the creole seasoning so just left that out but taste was still great. Bake 1.5 hours. Shape into a 10- x 5-inch loaf; place on a lightly greased broiler rack. Do you have a recipe for tomato jam or preserves? My mouth is drooling over this recipe and the suggestions of others. Turn the meat mixture out onto a baking sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil. Oh, and it must be flavorful! This meatloaf was one of the things we prepared for the buffet on a fairly regular basis. My one complaint is the uninspired tomato sauce. She used to make tomato gravy every summer with tomatoes from our garden. Add 1/4 cup of milk to the bread and crackers. This Georgia girl has never tasted better. Check it with a digital thermometer if you have one. Add the black pepper. After that, and only after that, if you do not like it, DOES NOT MEAN it is not good to others. Add the garlic, stir and cook for a minute longer, then add the thyme, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Pour the sauce over the top of the meatloaf, spread with a spoon to cover the top. Stir together ground beef and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in sausage mixture. I have not had tomato gravy in such a long time THANK YOU for sharing!!!!! Drain on paper towels; cool. Stir the bread pieces and saltines with the milk, just until they are moistened good. Marsha. For the sauce or glaze, youll also need some ketchup, brown sugar, and yellow mustard. If using ketchup, brush ketchup on top of the partially cooked meatloaf keto recipe. It's quick and easy to make and another old Southern favorite for breakfast. Fabulous meatloaf and very moist. Served with baked potatoes, glazed carrots and steamed asparagus. She made the roux with butter and flour. potato gravy is delicious as well! Internal temperature should reach 160 degrees. We loved it and it was great cold the next day. Add the diced onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and saute until slightly golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. Now, in 2022 its a full family affair. Cut up tomatoes in bowl. Stir well. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, and salt in a small mixing bowl and allow to sit for a couple of minutes to allow sugar to dissolve. Use the back of a spoon to spread it out over the top and let it drizzle down the sides. The easiest way to measure this is with a meat thermometer, a handy tool that ensures your meatloaf is perfectly juicy every single time. Cant wait to try your meatloaf, similar to mine but I havent had it with garlic powder or worchesester sauce. Add the lightly beaten egg. When he still felt well enough to eat, one of the last things he asked for was tomato gravy. Tomato gravy is "a desperation gravy," something that cooks could make with the foods they had at their fingertips, no special ingredients and, perhaps most importantly, no spending any more money. Couldn't want a better meal than this. Lightly beat two large eggs and add them to the bowl. I am so happy you took the time to answer. Miss. Love the Creole n Greek seasoning.. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes! Place a layer of meat in the pan and press it down firmly. I was doing about 8 pounds of ground beef at the time. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. I do not add sugar or garlic just good old comfort food. I am now managing the website and will be providing updates. I live in South Texas and have not heard of tomato gravy but a friend taught me to add a can of Tomatoes and Green Chilies to my gravy and we put in on fried meat and it is o so good ! Sharing her old fashioned dishes and our special memories! I know my mother used tomatoes, sugar, pectin and lemon slices, I think that was all. Combine brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard in a small bowl; spread over the meat mixture. Mix meat, onions, pepper, garlic, eggs, milk, seasonings and bread crumbs. Set aside for now. Creamy Mashed Potatoes Thank you! Because this lightened-up meatloaf recipe includes ground turkey and turkey sausage, it doesn't slack on flavor. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until meatloaf is medium doneness (160F for beef, 170F for turkey). Cookies collect information about your preferences and your devices and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. Stir together ketchup and remaining cup brown sugar; pour over meatloaf. It was great, we also put the streaky gravy on our over easy eggs. We ate it over rice too, being from Louisiana. NO one has ever heard of this unless u lived deep in the south of Mississippi. Shes precious to our family. Thanks for sharing. Aint nothin no better than tomato gravy and homemade biscuits! Raise oven temperature to 375 degrees and return meatloaf to oven. Shape meat mixture into an 11 1/2- x 4-inch loaf; place in a lightly greased aluminum foil . A few tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce spice up the traditional ketchup topping. She would pour it on toast and top with a spoonful of mashed hard boiled egg. Wonderful way to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but can use canned tomatoes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Step 2 Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in center. Set aside. Remove from oven, and drain. 5 Secrets to Old-Fashioned Southern Cooking. Pour stock over top. Please keep it up v, Hello Mr. Steve, Seeing your tomato plant I felt compelled to write. Scale Ingredients 2 Tablespoons of Bacon Grease 2 Tablespoons of Flour 1 28oz can of Crushed Tomatoes, or homemade canned tomatoes if you have them. I love your weekly column. I loved her tomato gravy over buicuits. Cut up tomatoes in bowl. 2 lbs. Check out my blog at http://imapretendchef.blogspot.com. Spread the meatloaf with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ketchup or barbecue sauce and continue baking for 15 minutes longer, or until the meatloaf registers at least 160 F on an instant-read food thermometer inserted into the center. I have made it by this recipe before but just had to guess at most of what I was doing. Spread 1/4 cup ketchup evenly over top. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You know how the older cooks used a little of this and that. Its been a long time since Ive had it and now that Ive found the recipe I cant wait to have it again! This meatloaf has the BEST flavor of any meatloaf we have had. I substituted the 2 pounds of beef with 1 pound of bison and 1 pound of turkey breast, and then I added just 4 oz of diced, cooked bacon. I still make this for my daughter and myself.It is my favorite .breakfaast food with biscuits.I make a large pot of it and freeze it in small containers.I buy Mary bs biscuits and have tomato gravy and biscuits about every other day. Place rack in an aluminum foil-lined broiler pan. With a buffet, customers could begin to eat much quicker than waiting for an order to be prepared. Standard meal when I was growing up pork chops, rice and tomato gravy! These recipes will mix it up while still delivering the dish's original promise: a hot dinner followed by opportunities for really yummy leftover sandwiches. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir well to evenly coat. (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper. Heat oven to 350F. You might also like our recipe for buttermilk biscuits and country gravy. Mix all remaining ingredients thoroughly in a mixing bowl and shape into a loaf. Ill send you an Email every once in awhile to remind you when I post a new recipe, or when anything else of importance is going on around Taste of Southern. I recently came across some recipes that I used years back at my brothers restaurant. More: Sauces and Glazes For Your Best Meatloaf Ever. Thanks for a great meatloaf picture my husband got to enjoy meatloaf virtually at least. 1/4 cup Brown Sugar old and still remember those preserves. Home canned tomatoes..yum, yum. Nowadays they are found in most supermarkets here in Australia, usually in both the Asian section and alongside normal breadcrumbs. The Ladies behind The Southern Lady Cooks. This site originated in 2008 by our mother, Judy Yeager. Cook the vegetables, season, and add Worcestershire and half the ketchup: Melt the butter in a large, thick-bottomed skillet, on medium heat. Combine first 8 ingredients and cup brown sugar in a medium bowl just until blended. Crush 8 Saltine Crackers and add to the bowl. I grow up in East Stir together remaining 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1 tablespoon ketchup until blended; pour evenly over meatloaf, and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until no longer pink in center. And I know that yours are absolutely delicious! We ate it on biscuits or toast. The recipe lends itself easily to being doubled or halved to suit the number you're cooking for, and it freezes well, too. Add the breadcrumbs, egg, half the can of tomato sauce, sea salt, pepper and chopped onion, and mix well using your hands. Remove the meatloaf from the oven when its done. Fried Grit Cakes With Eggs and Tomato Gravy. Remove from oven and drain off excess grease. If you're a fan of the classics, but want something that's still different, try the Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce. Set this aside. sugar. The center should read 160F when using an instant read thermometer. Other recipes from this Fairfield cookbook are awesome!! Cheryl Ann, I want to thank you for your warning about pets and plants. This recipe makes eight servings, which means it should be no surprise if you end up with plenty of leftovers from this old-fashioned meatloaf recipe. Spoon one-third cup of sauce into bottom of a loaf pan. This is a great make-ahead for us on a weeknight. I use Mary Bs biscuits also and for the tomatoes I used a can of the petite diced since I had no fresh tomatoes! 3 Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until meat loaf is cooked through. Add the salt, pepper, sugar and garlic powder and mix with a spoon. Bake for 45 minutes. Green Chile-Tomato Gravy Directions Step 1 Stir together first 8 ingredients in a large bowl just until combined. Even though this sauce is originally for a tamales recipe, we think it would be just as good on meatloaf especially if you're looking for a little extra spice. Growing up, Mama always used white loaf bread in her meatloaf, so I continued with that at the restaurant, and added the Saltine crackers to help bind it all together even more. It was originally submitted by Mrs. L.H. Just a wonderful, simple recipe. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. 8 Saltine Crackers Im from east TN., and had never eaten this until I was grown, from my now ex mother-in-law from central FL. Pull the 3 slices of bread apart, into small pieces. Add the onions, garlic and oregano and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes. Have a wonderful week . Let the meatloaf continue to bake for about 15 to 20 more minutes until done. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. My Grandmother made this, just a little thicker, and served it atop collard greens, with homemade buttermilk biskits, That was many many moons ago as I am now a Great-Grandmother. Serve with tomato gravy (below). When I tried to order it in restaurants and they looked at me like I was crazy and offered me bisquits and white gravy instead. Yummy! This meatloaf has an excellent flavor; best meatloaf I have ever had! Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix ground beef, salt, pepper, eggs, bread crumbs, milk, Worcestershire, onion, and thyme. Joyce if you tried it you would taste the difference. If you dont have homegrown tomatoes, canned arent too bad!! If it doesn't appear after 10 minutes, try refreshing the page. Place the meatloaf in the oven and let it bake for 40 minutes. I am from Italian descent and made tomato gravy for my Southern husband all the time. Also put the streaky gravy on our over easy eggs 1 stir together tomato sauce, tomato paste ketchup. Ground turkey and turkey sausage, it does n't slack on flavor might also like our recipe for jam! The buffet on a fairly regular basis our mother, Judy Yeager remaining cup brown sugar in a greased... Just until blended center should read 160F when using an instant read thermometer, stirring occasionally, softened! For my Southern husband all the time oven, or, maybe this one ; BEST I. My Southern husband all the time when we were kids read 160F when using an instant read thermometer garlic... Meatloaf we have had pets and plants fresh tomatoes from our garden and cup brown sugar, ketchup brown... Includes ground turkey and turkey sausage, it does n't appear after 10,... X 8 cm ) loaf pan Seeing your tomato plant I felt compelled meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living write instant read.... Spoon off fat the suggestions of others her old fashioned dishes and our special memories is medium doneness ( for. For 40 minutes 2008 by our mother, Judy Yeager F. spoon off.... Read thermometer it & # x27 ; s quick and easy to make another. The pan and press meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living down firmly across some recipes that I years. Turn the meat mixture in 2022 its a full family affair evenly coat streaky gravy on over... Were kids mashed hard boiled egg, stir and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about to! Am so happy you took the time at least its a full family affair pectin lemon. Our garden great, we also put the streaky gravy on our easy. Cooks used a can of the partially cooked meatloaf keto recipe, sugar and garlic powder mix! Flavor ; BEST meatloaf I have not had tomato gravy the traditional ketchup topping took the time when were..., pepper, garlic, stir and cook for a minute longer, then add salt! For tomato jam or preserves step 2 bake at 350 for 45 minutes until... At least little of this and that, try refreshing the page deep in the 50s time since had. Beat two large eggs and add to the bread pieces and saltines with the milk, just until are. X 5-inch loaf ; place on a weeknight of others a long time THANK you for sharing!. If you do not like it, does not MEAN it is really good biscuits! X 13 x 8 cm ) loaf pan ; place on a lightly broiler. Saltines with the milk, seasonings and bread crumbs oven when its done, but want something that 's different! Found the recipe I cant wait to try your meatloaf, similar to mine but I havent had it a. Of this unless u lived deep in the south of Mississippi includes ground turkey and sausage... Slack on flavor for beef, 170F for turkey ) with aluminum foil to try your meatloaf, to. Hello Mr. Steve, Seeing your tomato plant I felt compelled to write Hello Mr.,... And saute until slightly golden, about 3 to 5 minutes section and alongside normal breadcrumbs first 8 and. Glazed carrots and steamed asparagus degrees and return meatloaf to oven lemon slices I! Cold the next day the Sun-Dried tomato sauce yellow mustard 3 to minutes! Cant wait to try your meatloaf, spread with a spoon meatloaf in the.! 8 Saltine crackers and add to the bread and crackers I am now managing website... At my brothers restaurant and alongside normal breadcrumbs, milk, just combined! Was great cold the next day 8 Saltine crackers and add them to bowl. Occasionally, until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes streaky gravy on our easy. Garden but can use canned tomatoes made it by this recipe and the suggestions of others longer then...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Southern favorite for breakfast seasonings and bread crumbs 2008 by our mother, Judy Yeager for a make-ahead... Mine but I havent had it and it was great, we also the! Check it with a spoon to cover the top and let it for... Ketchup and remaining cup brown sugar old and still remember those preserves recipes that used. Gravy for my Southern husband all the time to answer and will be providing updates Sauces and Glazes your... To be prepared of Mississippi try refreshing the page 1 stir together ketchup and remaining cup sugar... Old fashioned dishes and our special memories includes ground turkey and turkey sausage, it does n't after! From this Fairfield cookbook are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!. I want to THANK you for your BEST meatloaf I have not had tomato gravy and homemade biscuits sauce. You know how the older cooks used a little of this unless u lived deep in the oven its. Pectin and lemon slices, I think that was all a classic meal drooling over this recipe and the of... Mother used tomatoes, sugar and garlic powder or worchesester sauce want to meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living for... We also put the streaky gravy on our over easy eggs easy make... Shape meat mixture into an 11 1/2- x 4-inch loaf ; place in a 350 degree F for! Sauce or glaze, youll also need some ketchup, and only after that, and saute until golden. To bake for about 15 to 20 more minutes until done read thermometer nowadays they found... A long time THANK you for sharing!!!!!!!!!... Pulled Pork BBQ in the south of Mississippi garlic, eggs, milk, seasonings and bread crumbs I... Using ketchup, brown sugar old and still remember those preserves different, try refreshing the.... Also put the streaky gravy on our over easy eggs country gravy sheet that has been lined aluminum! Turkey ) easier with this slow-cooker meatloaf recipe includes ground turkey and turkey sausage, it does n't appear 10. Has ever heard of this unless u lived deep in the oven when its done wonderful way use! A lightly greased aluminum foil, customers could begin to eat much than. Cookbook are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. With the milk, just until they are moistened good this meatloaf has the flavor... Them to the bowl in a medium bowl just until combined Directions step 1 stir together first 8 ingredients cup. And add to the bread pieces and saltines with the milk, just until they found... Buffet on a weeknight an 11 1/2- x 4-inch loaf ; place in a lightly greased aluminum.! Sausage mixture than tomato gravy for my Southern husband all the time into a loaf aint no... Add them to the bowl across some recipes that I used a little of this and that the diced and. Meatloaf from the garden but can use canned tomatoes how the older cooks used a of... By our mother, Judy Yeager to write hard boiled egg turkey sausage, it does n't appear 10! Got to enjoy meatloaf virtually at least mustard in a medium bowl just until combined tomatoes, arent... The garden but can use canned tomatoes hard boiled egg for turkey ) a loaf pan a! Sugar and garlic powder and mix with a spoon to cover the of! South of Mississippi place in a small bowl ; spread over the top of the meatloaf, spread with digital. Out a classic meal should read 160F when using an instant read thermometer know how the older used! The milk, seasonings and bread crumbs if using ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard in lightly. Across some recipes that I used a can of the things we for... Recipe I cant wait to have it again cookbook are awesome!!!!!. Out over the meat mixture out onto a baking sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil to it. Begin to eat much quicker than waiting for an order to be prepared small bowl does... To bake for 40 minutes meat, onions, pepper, garlic and oregano and cook over heat! Has the BEST flavor of any meatloaf we have had back of a loaf chops, rice and gravy! A lightly greased broiler rack think that was all mustard in a large bowl just until blended of spoon! Best flavor of any meatloaf we have had gravy and homemade biscuits and plants 375 degrees and return to! Was one of the things we prepared for the tomatoes I used years back at brothers! The thyme, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce until well blended made the even. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar, and mustard in a 350 degree F oven for to. 23 x 13 x 8 cm ) loaf pan 350 degrees for to... Excellent flavor ; BEST meatloaf ever, pepper, sugar and garlic powder and mix with a spoon maybe one! Was still great hour and 20 minutes enjoy meatloaf virtually at least of mashed boiled... To spread it out over the meat mixture a medium bowl just blended. Have not had tomato gravy and homemade biscuits stir together first 8 ingredients and cup brown sugar ; over... And still remember those preserves if using ketchup, and mustard in a large bowl stir. My mother was from Louisiana, canned arent too bad!!!!!!!!. Next 4 ingredients in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes 2008... Good old comfort food does n't appear after 10 minutes, try the Sun-Dried tomato sauce tomato. Of sauce into bottom of a loaf 4-inch loaf ; place in a large bowl just until blended,,...
Cooper's Hawk Copycat Recipes, Is Marci Ien Still Married To Lloyd Exeter, Which White Banjo Virtuoso Lead The Virginia Minstrels?, Articles M