Ive had it since 1979 and love it. But read the ballistics on the 38 Super and the info on Genitron: 1350fps with 500ftlbs in a 124 grain, half the recoil in a 1911 govt. Ships from Tallahassee, FL, United States. Today, Texas DPS issues Sig Sauer pistols in .357 Sig, undeniably robust, and potent, equipment. However, as an elite division, the Rangers are allowed some latitude in what they carry, and a large number choose the 1911. Great Britain took delivery of 1429 1911s in .38 Super in the 30s to . With the bull barrel there is no bushing used in the slide so the problem of bushing breakup that some Colt officer-sized guns have experienced is now a thing of the past. Call me the oddball but I prefer the .40 S&W in an actual S&W or the .38 Spl. Winchester makes a 124gr nickel coated brass case jacketed soft point ammo. Colt 38 Super; Colt 380; Colt 45; Colt AR 15; Colt AR-15; Colt Cobra; Colt Cobra .38 Spl +P; Colt Combat Unit CCO; A 6 1/2 inch gun would have been difficult to use. Texas Rangers are an independent lotalways have beenperhaps from that time alone riding horseback across the vast expanse of Texas. Colt Paterson. Colt 1911 Government Model Mark IV Series 70 38 Super Box. The .38-caliber revolver taped to Bonnie Parkers inner thigh when she and Clyde Barrow were killed by a Texas posse in 1934 has been made federally compliant and will be auctioned later this week. Saw first 38 super at USPSA match. Belgian "Texas Ranger" .38 S&W (PR52796) - Collectors Firearms Ironically, they may be a better choice again given the advancements in bullet design. Combat mags. The .38 Super was introduced in the 1911 handgun in 1929 to arm peace officers with a hard-hitting handgun that offered good penetration against the new breed of mechanized thug. Very inexpensively made and prone to breakage with no parts availability. It's unknown when he first acquired the gun, but it is described as a C-engraved, 4 3/4-inch-barreled, blued revolver. Sometimes, Timing is everything. Belgian made six shot revolver. The .45 SAA Colt was a mainstay until John Browning completed his 1911 project. Both use the same Wilson It has been completely revamped and updated for accuracy and clarity. Crime was rampant in the Roaring '20s and peace officers found themselves at a disadvantage when armed with revolvers firing the standard round-nosed .38 Special. This Colt was shipped to a hardware store in El Paso, Texas in January 1932 for a Texas Ranger named Ralph Rohatch. The frame is undercut at the front strap trigger-guard juncture, for a higher grip, and the front strap and flat mainspring housing are checkered in an effective 30-lpi pattern. Competition shooters are .38 Super Auto fanatics. I have two .38 Supers and both are Great shooters. While I enjoy the wonderful 45 cartridge I much prefer the higher capacity and easier control of follow up shots with the 9mm and 38 Super. American Handgunner Playin' Favorites - American Handgunner Clyde Barrows gang shot and wounded two prison guards one fatally- during a prison breakout in 1934. I sometimes wonder if it will gain some steam among conventional shooters like the 10mm has. Bring out the 38 super for fun matches. The .45 SAA Colt was a mainstay until John Browning completed his 1911 project. Its worth considering that Dan Wesson makes several 1911s in .38 Super including the Guardian, a lightweight Commander type. Very accurate and reasonable in handling recoil. Some big news for trigger pullers recently from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. His reputation as a Texas Ranger would have made him a legend even if he had not apprehended Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker in Louisiana. I usually load to USPSA Major PF using .38 Super Comp brass. The Texas Rangers may also have been the first law enforcement . He resigned in 1908 to become the Marshal in Navasota, Texas, a violent boom town in which shootouts on the main street were so frequent that in two years at least a hundred men died.. The .38 Super chambered 1911 arriving in 1929 pre-dated not only the .357 Magnum of 1935 but also the .38-44 Heavy Duty of 1930. Started reloading rounds as store bought ones were not to my liking. Colt 1911 El Samuel Colt 38 Super Engraved 1 of 500 O1911C-38-ESB Barrel is marked "Texas Ranger". Fortunately, the Texas Ranger Museum and Hall of Fame in Waco, Texas would prove to be a valuable resource. Frank Hamer, had its serial numbers obliterated in the heyday of Bonnie and Clyde's reign of terror, prompting Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) officials to issue a new number to make the handgun legal. Colt Guns, Colt Paterson, Colt Walker for Sale | Collectors Firearms After months of pondering if I should, I finally gave in and bought the Kimber. I urge the reader to read on with curiosity and understanding. Clyde certainly did not intend to be taken alive. After shooting it, I wanted a smaller grouping and purchased a Bar-Sto barrel and bushing, when they were still located in Southern California. SDS Imports 10100513 1911A1 Regulator 9+1 5" Hard Chrome Plated Barrel, High Polished Chomium Coated Serrated Steel Slide & Frame w/Beavertail Frame Checkered Wood Grips. It can be loaded just like a 9mm with the same bullets and powder. Hamer also took off his own coat and displayed the weapon that he was still authorized to carry in retirement as a Special Ranger employed by the Texas Oil Company. The result, no matter which Wilson Combat pistol, is a piece of fighting equipmentalmost a piece of artdesigned and built to work every time the trigger is pulled. Have been reading about early Texas history and am amazed by accounts of the states way of life in the early 1900s and the stories of men like Frank Hamer and LBJ who contributed so much good and bad. SIG Sauer offers the V-Crown hollow point at about 1,210 fps. Hamer spent 27 years with the Rangers. Finally, after the last batch of rounds, which I paid extra attention to the details, still had an alarmingly high rejection rate, I finally said I had enough and sold it for a 10mm. , Your email address will not be published. We reserve the right to edit as appropriate, delete profane, harassing, abusive and spam comments or posts, and block repeat offenders. Their deaths ended a legendary Depression-era crime spree that spanned the central U.S. and included holdups of more than a dozen banks and scores of small shops and gas stations. TEXAS RANGERS - Backwoods Home Magazine One is the Colt Competition 1911, one is the Taurus PT and the third one is an EAA Witness, which holds 17 + 1 rounds. Colt 1911 in 38 Super - 24hourcampfire However, it certainly wasn't his only one. When you read the engraving it will bring a tear to your eyes. Enjoy your new .38 Super! Colt Officers Model "King Super Target" .38 Spl PRICE DROP. COLT 1911 TEXAS RANGER 45 ACP 5" 1 of 500 200th anniversary Had some minor feed issues with HP ammo but one of our range guys is a gunsmith. COLT 1911 38 SUPER STAINLESS . Belgian Texas Ranger .38 Special 1920s Revolver Hi Ben, email me at [email protected] if you are interested in selling your 38 super ammo. Like many lawmen of his era, Hamer adorned Old Lucky with carved pearl stocks,. My Dillon 1050 is set up to load almost 1000 rounds per hour of .38 Super with VV N350, 3N37, or 3N38 & WW Auto Comp. Hamer took such murder and corruption personally and wrote a detailed expos of the the bankers murder machine which he handed out in Austin. Lock up okay, but gun is likely non functional. In 1928, The Texas Bankers Association gave rewards to officers that set up certain petty criminals to be killed so that corrupt police officers could collect the rewards and pay finders fees. Bonnie Parker's .38 Special made legal by ATF ahead of auction Colt is known for the engineering, production, and marketing of . The Super 38 and 923 are almost the same and reloaded with Super dies are. Sell a Similar Item. I think the fact that during the 60s 38 Super kinda faded and like I said the ammo wasnt really easy to get. Slides wear a set of Wilson Combats Tactical Pyramid sights and ejection ports are lowered and flared. I would recommend it for any novice shooter or women; especially the unfortunately short-lived downsized frame which made it an excellent choice for concealed carry or purses. Over the next four years, they became household names before their deaths at the hands of a Texas posse that had been tracking the gang since it helped break several friends out of a Texas jail. Out of stock. Bonnie Parker was just 24 in 1934 when she and Clyde Barrow died in a hail of gunfire after being ambushed by authorities in Louisiana. Gun #: 962326740. trouble getting ammo from LAX Ammo for target and The penetration of the cartridge and reliability of the 1911 gave law officers a great advantage. Colt .38 Super Commander - SWAT Survival | Weapons | Tactics The answer would be yes. The flats were then polished back to the metal, leaving the nooks and crannies filled with black for highlights. Accuracy is pretty good. in 923. These loads offer excellent feed reliability. I have been shooting 38 super for over 15 years. Exclusive deals, discounts, new product launches, coupon codes and more. Hughes trial was scheduled for trial within a week and a mob gathered outside the jail every night. After shooting M9s in the military I was a decent shot. I could push a 100 grain Speer JHP downrange near 1500 fps using Blue Dot though I cant recall the powder charge. In addition, it includes a custom serial number and a commemorative coin with a pouch. (Normal boolits are .355 .356. Where in AZ do you live? Colt 38 Super Pre-War - Old Colt However my Dad shot on the 4th Army pistol team in the 50s and they shot 22, 38 Super, and 45 autos all in the 45 frame. Engraved First Generation Colt Single Action Army Revolver Owned by Two Generations of Texas Rangers and Inscribed to Legendary Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson with His Badge and Personalized Tooled Leather Holster and Extensive Documentation Auction Date: December 1, 2017 Estimated Price: $ 4,500 - $ 6,500 Price Realized: Details TEXAS RANGER COLLECTION/ESTATE AUCTION - iCollector.com Though Clyde and Bonnie escaped the Sowers ambush by Dallas County authorities in November of 1933, Clyde ditched his shot up car near the Ft. Worth Pike and commandeered a less damaged car to make good their flight to freedom. For general use, I most often practice with a FMJ loading. Bonnie and Clyde Director Arthur Penn Dies at Age 88, Guns of outlaws Bonnie and Clyde to be auctioned. Market data provided by Factset. It was always in his pocket. Item Number: O1911C-SS38-DHM. When Stevenson sent lawyers to Alice demanding to see the voting records (pursuant to Texas voting statutes) their lawful demands were refused. Trace McDonald, a Ranger in Eastern Texas, acquired his first Wilson Combat pistola CQB modeland eventually Trace contacted Bill Wilson to see if Wilson Combat would be interested in helping some Texas Rangers acquire handguns with the quality that his CQB displayed. Hard to find ammo in a platform I dont particularly care for and no, I cant stand Glock either. Coke Stevenson to the Texas State Bank in Alice, county seat of Jim Wells County in South Texas. Categories: Semi Auto Pistols Condition: New Manufacturer: Colt Model: 1911 El Samuel Colt Caliber: 38 Super Auto +P SKU: 098289112774 MPN: O1911C-38-ESB UPC: 098289112774 Price: $475.00. There in the case was a Kimber Pro Carry II in stainless, she was a beauty to say the least. And now looking at either carrying the govt or maybe a commander. The Starburst Pattern G-10 grips really grabbed and held onto the hand, too. Own a Taurus 1911, and have used it in matches. Required fields are marked *. It features straight-to-the-rear trigger compression, a low bore axis, a grip that fits most hands well, and excellent speed into action. Very Fast. I used Glocks exclusively for carry went through models and calibers, ending up with the G30 and 45ACP. The 9mm and .38 Super will be the same size frame, while the latter hits harder. The Para-Ordnance is an eye-catching pistol that has proven completely reliable, reasonably accurate, and a great deal of fun. My father removed this gun from the inside thigh of Bonnie Parker where she had it taped with white, medical, adhesive tape. The pistol pictured was presented to Highway patrolman Glenn Elliott in 1956. At the age of 24 years old, Hamer established and maintained order in Navasota. I too loved my 38 super but it was notoriously HARD to get right handloading. Hinton called his Congressman, got a BAR from the government and a back seat full of ammunition, and learned how to shoot the roaring automatic rifle.. I mailed 9mm barrel to Gun Smith who for $44.50 he then reamed the barrel to 923. However, the .38 Super suffered in popularity after the introduction of the .357 Magnum. Posts: 24,416. The 38 super is fantastic. Adding a stainless-steel Tactical Ambidextrous Thumb Safety accommodated his left-handedness. RR Auction in New Hampshire received the gun this summer from a private collector and noticed that the revolver had been altered, according to ATF officials from its field office in Manchester, N.H. Hamer drew down on him with a shotgun and told him to not do it. A round in Barrows left temple laid him out dead. Commissioned as Special Rangers by the Texas Department of Public Safety and/or the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, these . My carry ammo is loaded considerably hotter (think 923 Winchester level). In the future might try to acquire a Sig in 38 Super. I have purchase all the cheap stuff, Armscor, Magtech and Aguilla in 125 to 130 grain, you can find it for $15 ish a box. But when you are not much from arms length of a life and death situation I suggest a 45acp in 180 xtp hollow point. This is an easier cartridge to master than the .45 and has two more rounds of magazine capacity. Guns International #: 101277151 Seller's Inventory #: 219948. Nor could Browning have anticipated the affinity the Texas Rangers would develop for his slab-slided handful of firepower soon after its introductionor Bill Wilsons 60 years later. My son went from a intelegence analyst to a diplomatic security agent and was only allowed a issued 9mm for his side arm. My Para-Ordnance is middle of the road. Out of stock. I pretty much fell in love with the Colt 1911 38 Super I have. Is it good for self-defense? . Hamers first stint as a Texas Ranger was with Captain John H. Rogerss Company C. In his first assignment he put a stop to murders and riots in the Rio Grande Valley that, notwithstanding the efforts of federal troops, had been raging unabated for many months. I reload for mine so ammunition is not a problem, All loads are made up in rimless Starline match brass and with a load the pistol likes I can get 2 groups at 25 yards. The abandoned V8 spoke volumes to the able lawmen of Dallas County and to the Rangers. Love the gun and the round and have no I recently came across a 1929 Super .38 that also came from Texas. Regular Price. The ammo is not as hard to find as stated in the article. The March, 1992 issue of Guns and Ammos HANDGUNS FOR SPORT AND DEFENSE magazine contains an interview with Frank Hamer Jr. who confirmed that his fathers Colt was a .38 Super. I am thinking of finding them a new home and cant find much info as far as value. Legal Statement. The lawyers got to look at the records just long enough to make notes and it soon became apparent that Lyndon Johnson had engaged in a massive election fraud that was unprecedented even by the standards then prevalent in Texas where ranchers and political bosses were able to deliver blocs of voters to candidates willing to pay the highest price. Keep Reading. I recently fitted a 38 Super barrel to my Rock Island 1911 in 9mm. Frank Hamer and His Guns; The Moment He Almost Kept LBJ From Stealing At the beginning of her second term, she fired all the Rangers that remained and appointed replacements for them. 1557 fps & 553ft lbs. Below this was a lightweight aluminum-alloy frame, with a flat-black Armor Tuff finish, making the package lighter on the belt and giving a striking appearance. No FTF, as long as no lead exposed @ tip. By any standard, the caliber and the 1911 handgun are excellent defensive or tactical choices. Hamer left the Rangers and then returned again in 1921, transferring to Austin where he served as Senior Ranger Captain. COLT 1911 TEXAS RANGER 38 SUPER USED GUN INV 219948 Description: Colt 1911 Texas Ranger commemorative chambered in .38 Super with a 4 1/4 inch barrel bright bore and good grooves with a display case and Texas Ranger Medallion. Action works in both single and double action. IF modern pistols were again chambered in .38 Super and available, think that the comparison to the ,357 magnum/.357 SIG level performance would surprise many folks. first time i fired it i couldnt believe how flat shooting it is. See Sold Price. All fitted with the best barrels money can buy manufacture by Fred Kart. Colt Cobra TT 38 Special +P Rated Double Action Revolver with Black DLC Cylinder $749.00 $619.99; Notify Me When Available; Brand: Colt; Item Number: COBRA-TT2FO; Colt Cobra 38 Special Used Police Trade-in Revolver $699.99; Brand: Colt; Item Number: 169389LW; Colt Cobra 38 Special Double Action Revolver with Wood Grips . . I fit a Super 38 barrel to it and a 1lb. Its previous owner was a Texas county sheriff. Ive shot it a few times but have semi-retired the gun because of age and value but its still a good shooter. Its true, the cartels love it because it is a non-military caliber and subsequently not banned in Mexico. Not far from my Bar.Sto, Clark, Briley bbls. "TEXAS RANGER" is on the left side of the barrel. The Pre-War Colt .38 Super or "Super 38" were produced from 1929-1945. This Texas Ranger collector firearm features handsome 24-karat gold decorations, including the hammer, slide stop, safety lock, grip screws, barrel bushing and magazine catch. Plus, you'll be the first to hear about our newest giveaways. Hamer stuffed a blue steel Colt commercial automatic in his belt and it is this gun that is most interesting to this writer. In 1948, Hamer accompanied Gov. 1930s Belgian "TEXAS RANGER" Double Action .38 COLT SPECIAL C&R Hamer also owned many other guns. Stevenson wanted to examine the tally sheets in the ballot box for Precinct 13; i.e.,fraudulent poll and tally lists for his opponent, then Congressman Lyndon Johnson. The .38 Super was particularly popular in Texas and over 200,000 were produced between 1929 and 1970.
Sadie's Kitchen Crystal River Fl, Articles C