Behind the tender is the support coach, an ex-LMS Period I type.The train may have worked out with the loco at the head and run round for the return. BR was to continue carrying livestock for a few more years. When ready the loco was run down to Stourton and parked in the open yard in front of the shed for easy attachment to the return working from Hunslet. The next batch of pictures was taken by me and my brother, mostly using my Zorki 35mm camera. It was the only example of an unhelpful jobsworth that I ever encountered on the railway in the steam era. since 1860. This batch was concluded with another similarly equipped 6 but sent to Eastleigh. I was 15 years old and this was my first experience with a 35mm camera, kindly loaned me by one of my dad's workmates. First shed of the day, quite small, on a bitterly cold and blustery morning and too miserable for any photographs. A general view in front of the running shed when it was stilll quite busy, showing an 8F, possibly Farnley's No 48080; "Jubilee" No 45562 Alberta; and 9F 92046. By this time pre-Grouping designs were getting rare and this was the only photograph I managed to take. The following day, alas, dawned miserably (it was much better further north) and the station was crowded like I have never seen before. All images Copyright Steve Banks, no unauthorised use. I suspect that I may have been standing on the Down main line to take this picture. The shed used to be two and half miles from where I lived and as a teenager, used to visit on my push bike, despite two quite steep hills - traffic was still quite light in those days! At its peak, during the war, it is said that over 90000 worked there. One of the lamps on the 8F has been removed to signify a light engine when it gets uncoupled. Note how the front number plate has been stolen, and so has the shed plate. Use them in commercial designs under lifetime, perpetual & worldwide rights. Ex-GWR No 6831 Bearley Grange, a visitor from Oxley, stands outside the ex-GWR three road shed at Gresty Lane. In April 1964, the train spotting societies in two secondary schools in Leeds combined for a tour of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Pilot lights being carried: one over each buffer at both ends . Note the signal box on the platform ahead of the loco and the old lower quadrant signals on the gantry, half lost in the mist despite being starters at the end of the platform. A BR Type 2 No D5253 (later Class 25) passes on the Up goods loop with a short goods train of a dozen wagons. Note the cattle pens on this side of the station, once a common sight everywhere. It coasted in down the gradient on the slow line and pulled up to collect passengers. The next signal box, Holbeck's Engine Shed Junction was just round the corner. I don't know what was special about this shed and its workings and why the much larger tender was required. tyler sanders birthday June 24, 2022. operations generalist meaning Our readers will be interested to know that the works buildings have been refurbished and that employment is set to return to the site. Nearest is 3625 with a snow plough and 9774 on the tail end of which a lamp is being hung. This was a Carlisle Kingmoor (12A) loco. It was my first encounter with the class. South Leeds Life is regulated by IMPRESS and adheres to its standards code. One of each pair was supposed to show a white light, the other, red. The site has played host to a number of industrial breakthroughs, as well as royal visits, and at its peak was the workplace of a 5,000 strong workforce. When I started in 1966, there were over 9000 working on site and at various depots, works and subsidiaries in the UK and all around the world. It was from Cricklewood West. To cap it all, it was a dismally dull day. 70C Guildford As far as I know, V2s were never allocated to Neville Hill (ex-NER B16 and Thomposn B1 4-6-0s were used instead) but York had many and they often worked through to Leeds, such as 60967 which is standing by the water tower. So when I tried again in 1966 I simply walked in, and got a shock. Leading is a BR Standard goods brake van (Dia.1/506 with roller bearings), No.B953645. The day started badly because the Shed Foreman at Nine Elms refused to admit us on the grounds that the permit was for noon and there we were at 8am - the rotter! Especially sad to see were 0-6-0 tanks such as the J72 and J94 made obsolete by the diesel shunter, and the cab and bunker of former Copley Hill and Leeds Central station pilot, J50 68988. Every single loco was in foul condition, filthy and rusty, all the nameplates had been removed, and quite a few numberplates, too. D3242, D3243 (08). So sad to see a loco in such poor condition. 31.10.64. Fellow member of the batch, No 92062 is prepared for duty. The Riddles "Britannia" with no name, No 70047, was one you always hoped to chance across eventually and it was disappointing and ironic to find it in this condition and after most of the class with names had already had them removed. Only D5313 as it came by on a train! And finally, the front end with a Peppercorn A1 behind it, possibly 60118 Archibald Sturrock, one of the batch transferred from Copley Hill after that shed closed the previous year. An album is a way to save a selection of Frith photos, maps and memories that are of interest to you. In 1860 Frith began supplying photos to retailers. Sorry, we have no old photos of Stourton available currently. The Bradford portion has been detached at Wakefield and will follow in a few minutes. Vol.2 about the Secondary Services should follow in a year or so's time. 7th August 1965. As we entered Guildford shed, USA tank No 30064 was shunting wagons, in a marvellously resurrected Malachite Green livery. Steam was ending but we were young and couldn't really see it; train-spotting was carrying on despite the increasingly sad sights. Had I known at the time, I would have been quite a bit happier! On top of that it was a murky day (the Scots have a good word for it - "dreich") and the sun didn't shine until mid-afternoon. When BR was formed, Tyseley was given a Western Region shed code of 84E, until transfer in 1963 to the LMR when it became 2A. Stourton is a mainly industrial area of the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The BR CCT, however, had a generous wheelbase of 23'6" (the dimensions were similar to the LNER/BR CCT) because the value of an extended length and WB was being recognised. February 1985. As at Corkerhill, a lot of BR Riddles designs were also here, plus fifteen of the new-fangled (and short-lived) D8500 Claytons. However, a small batch of 17 was provided with the much larger BR1B tender (4,725 gallons and 7 tons) despite this 2-6-0 having a smaller tractive effort than an ex-LMS "Black Five". 61220 (B1) 31.10.64. A639, Wakefield Road towards Leeds - geograph.org.uk - 3858432.jpg 1,200 798; 285 KB. Alas, although it took 120 roll film the lens was quite ordinary - and the day was murky: this was the middle of the long winter of 1963 and snow was to lie around for quite a while yet. As school kids I would come here often with my brother, stand the other side of the tracks, and watch as a vertical plume of steam heralded a departure from Leeds Central. Making use of my A2 Certificate of competency and flying in a built up area.This is Stourton in Leeds, showing some great views of Leeds, Thwaite Mills and w. An aerial view of Pudsey in the late 1950s. Visible in the background between the locos is the Leeds City-Derby line while the viaduct just visible on the left carried the line to Manchester and Liverpool, eventually closed to traffic. Frith photos prompt happy memories of our personal history, so enjoy this trip down memory lane with our old photos of places near Stourton, historic maps, local history books, and memories of Stourton. Photo: Steve Banks, 9F No 92046 seen again with its BR1C 4,725 gallon tender. Find the perfect stourton leeds stock photo, image, vector, illustration or 360 image. Finally, we visited the two sheds at Blyth: South Blyth and North Blyth. 1A Willesden. The Brownie 127 with its fixed shutter speed of 1/40sec was not exactly suited to action shots, nor cloudy days, and I was 14 years old and, er, trespassing by the side of Holbeck High Level station, half a mile out of Leeds Central. One of my local sheds, Holbeck, used to have three "Britannias" (70044/53/54) until August 1962 when, unknown to me at the time, they were reallocated to Crewe North so it was a surprise to see them there. All these photographs are available to buy as a wide range of products, including . Search from Stourton stock photos, pictures and royalty-free images from iStock. 16-3-66. Then it was back to a cr*ppy old bellows camera! Stourton, Leeds Connected to: {{::readMoreArticle.title}} From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The old works have been refurbished with buildings re-roofed and re-clad by Towngate plc. 69003, 69011, 69019 (J72) Photo: Author. 5th January 1964. A wider view from under the Balm Road skew bridge of 48276 and the Down yard. He's leaning out more than normal to spot the next signals which are just around the corner. Note the woeful light and and mist, and my apologies for the iffy quality grr! No pictures at Crewe South which was logjammed with unphotographable locos, better at Crewe North although I could only take a rear-facing view of No 46228 Duchess of Rutland. Peppercorn A1 No 60145 Saint Mungo, alas minus its nameplates is running into the shed yard past the coaling tower after working a special from Birmingham. Between us we can bring the full story to our readers. 4.9.65. It was used for crew training and in July 1962, re-allocated to Holbeck. Note how the diesels were parked by the offices and the smoky steam locos further away! Fortunately, A4 600025 Falcon also came by, light engine. 6953 Leighton Hall ironically all Riddles "standards". For most of its life, Percy Main's staple allocation was the J27 0-6-0 plus, I believe, J72 tank engines which had been replaced by a variety of 0-6-0 diesel shunters. April/May 1963. Withdrawn from 66A Polmadie and 64B Haymarket: 46105 Highland Light Infantry, City of Glasgow Regiment. 3rd April 1964. People, me included, men, women and children rambled all over the tracks taking pictures, up to several hundred yards out for the departure, and strange as it may seem in these modern times, officialdom turned a blind eye and nobody got run over. Find high-quality stock photos that you won't find anywhere else. The "Scot" was off Newton Heath in Manchester, which was a former LYR shed, and my guess is that it may have worked a trans-Pennine express. This, by contrast, was a fine autumnal day at a place I had never visited before - the ex-Midland Railway/LMS yards at Hunslet, located between Holbeck and Stourton. I wonder if this loco was a stand-by for the iron ore traffic? Quite recently I have learned, as in the caption above, that Tyseley had been equipped to do wheel turning and the rear wheels on 70047 have clearly been treated and the loco is waiting for a lift back to its home shed. This photo shows disused factory . An ex-SR "West Country" class Pacific graces the yard, No 34037 West Ward Ho, a visitor from Salisbury. photos for this location. This photographic archive brings together collections held by Leeds Libraries as well as collections from West Yorkshire Archive Service, the Thoresby Society, Leeds Civic Trust and Leeds Museums and Galleries. OK, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder; and I was smitten. Note how the safety valves are blowing off and while the engine is quite mucky, there is no leaking steam; it looks to be in good condition. 6913 Levens Hall All rights reserved. The area falls within the City and Hunslet ward of Leeds Metropolitan Council. We have no photos of Stourton, therefore we have published no local books of this location. 80050, 80127-8. The main line from Oxford is passing by, a familiar scene today. My notes show that 36 locos were seen, in varying conditions, among them these rarities which had been withdrawn long ago: To be honest and trying to think back, I wonder if we actually saw that trio complete or perhaps parts of them for some reason laid aside? We had been advised, or so said the rumour, that an A4 had been rostered so it was disappointing to see an old friend turn up in this condition. Photo: Author. On a murky Sunday in 1961, A3 60075 St Frusquin of Gateshead was on shed - it had probably worked the southbound "Queen of Scots" - and I set the camera up on a nearby buffer stop and pressed the lever shutter release twice. Allen is serviced at Holbeck, Copley Hill having already closed. 3rd April 1964. Sign-in or Register. The leading passenger carriage in the picture is a BCK. Not until relatively recently did I learn that the Brownie 127 had a pedestrian shutter speed of 1/60 sec, which explains why in this panned shot, the houses in the distance are so blurred! The clock is showing just before 1pm, which suggests a weekend visit. This loco carried on working until May 1965. It was sad but at least an effort had been made to give the loco a clean. It was a school trip and we visited: Gresty Lane Refresh & enjoy your personal memories, or find some that family & friends will love as gifts. flexible offerings for business. What's happening in Beeston, Belle Isle, Cottingley, Holbeck, Hunslet, Middleton and Stourton. While debussing in Guildford we passed the station and caught a glimpse of 34099 Lynmouth, an air-smoothed "West Country" Class 4-6-2. Keith Long, former signalman in Leeds, has come forward to say that the headcode was actually 1V47 which was the Sundays only 4.31pm from Bradford Forster Square, Leeds City 4.54-5.02pm to Bristol Temple Meads. The main part consisted of 8 carriages from King's Cross behind the Pacific, and a smaller portion from Leeds, behind 3442 The Great Marquess. Near Stourton one of the milk tanks derailed, but stayed in the formation for some distance, before causing more of the train to derail. Read and share The headcode "3N12" was for a Midland working which I can identify partly as 3=parcels and N=destination the North Eastern Region. D2234 (04 Drewry) A general view shows J94 68008 and J72 69006. ), the roster for the train in the nearest issue that I have (for winter 1957) quoted a BGBS at the head, that is, a gangwayed bogie van with British Standard gangways, typically an ex-LMS 50' vehicle. It was quite an exposed location and most of my visits coincided with poor weather, on this occasion, cloudy and misty. Stourton's 4F No 44570 is seen passing the shed on the main line between Leeds City and St.Pancras on its way back to base. The day ended at dusk with a visit to the coal staithes at Blyth, colossal wooden lattice structures that towered high in the sky against the setting sun, with steam and smoke drifting across the sky from chimneys all around. Part of the coaling stage can be seen in the background. Jubilee 45608 Gibraltar awaits departure at Leeds City in 1963 with the inter-regional "Devonian" and WR chocolate & cream coaches. J50 68988 stands in front of the offices at Copley Hill (56C) in April/May 1963. 19th October 1966. 7923 Speke Hall. At last, a fairly clean ex-GWR "Prairie" tank, No 6112, one of Didcot's own. It was one of Cardiff Canton's that went to Willesden and, for a while, they worked an overnight/early morning fitted freight to Leeds. In June 1964 several Riddles 77xxx were transferred to Leeds, this one, No 77000, to Stourton and is seen passing in its direction, southwards through Hunslet. Growing up in Leeds in the 1930s and 1940s These are memories from people who were children in 1930s/40s Hunslet and Stourton. You might like browse old photos of these nearby places. A view from the old brick & timber manual coaling plant that remained in place despite construction of a new "standard" concrete tower. In the background is one of the A2s that had been re-allocated, and a cluster of lads with notebooks in hand passing by. Send a personal message with a photo to anyone, anywhere. Another blustery day but a year later, in June 1964 sees another Doncaster A1, No 60114 W.P.Allen as it lifts the 4.45pm to Doncaster out of Leeds Central. On receipt of your enquiry our archivist will check the scan and advise you if the quality is good enough. 4F 44584 approaches Leeds City from the Derby/Holbeck direction on the south chord of the Whitehall triangle with a local, pick-up goods. 70A Nine Elms Remnants of the station remain as train tracks can still be seen in the area. The shed was still standing although the roof had been removed. On shed was a remarkably modern stud of locomotives, the majority designed by Riddles and thus only a few years old: 80001, 80005, 80030, 80046. Peppercorn A2 60535 Hornets Beauty stands partly inside the running shed being prepared for a day's work. Download Stourton stock photos. See the 65F Grangemouth The first sequence of four pictures was taken with a Brownie 127 when I was 15 years old. I took many pictures but have never printed any of them. Create a Photo Gift with this photo, add a memory, send an ePostcard and view more information. 7th August 1965. Since Register to find out more and create your first album! Another former Caledonian Railway shed, this was quite a small affair for goods traffic with only a handful of locos, but also the entire stud of preserved Scottish engines, among which was one that was not to be saved: Sadly, the Small Ben was never restored and was cut up in 1966. This was the itinerary, 65C Parkhead 5th January 1964. And only ten shots were possible, quite unlike a 35mm camera, let alone the digital cameras of today. When the train moved off, the condition of the loco revealed itself, with masses pf steam leaking from the cylinders. 6963 Throwley Hall It closed in 1980. Free or royalty-free photos and images. And finally, sensing that luck was against me in catching a Scottish A4 outdoors, I grabbed a cab side view of 60031 Golden Plover deep in the gloom. Carrying a layer of dust and grime but the clean lines do show well. LS10 1RD View area details View maps in the shop. This asset has some traction but few have discovered it yet. The place actually closed just two years ago. You can help our automatic cover photo selection by reporting an unsuitable photo. Tyne Dock Possibly 31257 later. 6969Wraysbury Hall By mid-afternoon the light was beginning to fade and this was my last picture of the day, of J27 No 65855 having its fire cleaned out - you can see a shovel's worth being chucked out of the cab. It was, incidentally a seat reservation train: as always, trains taking people home after a weekend away could be heavily loaded. 3.4.64. since 1860. The exhaust is rising high and the wind is blowing it across, but a leaking cylinder gland is creating a screen that is obstructing the driver's view. After attempts to preserve it did not succeed, many parts were used in the restoration of 45699 Galatea. 92060 stands in the shed yard, partly lit by a low sun. In autumn 1966, I had started at Manchester University (and not found its railway society) and on 29th October hitch-hiked to London to see friends there, and dropped in on Nine Elms shed where the shedmaster had previously refused us entry because the permit was for that day - but a few hours before the time stated.. 80057, one of the Riddles 2-6-4 tanks which had displaced the former NBR passenger tanks on the secondary and suburban services. Another view of D5685 as it backed onto carriages, with the main running lines to the south in the background. Barely visible on the tender are the letters "GWR" which had come to light as the overlying coats of paint perished. A modern warehousing and distribution facility of 300,000 sq ft has been created which is currently on the market. Also operated by East & West Yorkshire Union Railway, the station opened in 1891 before it closed in October 1904. . The inside of the running shed always felt dank anyway; it was not my favourite shed! 4.9.65. This raises several points because the Leeds-Bristol axis was a heavy carrier of parcels traffic and it would have been tempting to add vans of any kind. The Copperworks in Stourton has been a South Leeds landmark since it was built as the Leeds Copperworks in 1894. One of Copley Hill's Peppercorn A1s, No 60120 Kittiwake storms the summit of the climb out of Leeds Central on the final gradient of 1:50 with the 12.55pm to King's Cross.
A Potential Trafficker Is Most Likely To Be:, Articles O