Other cards in this SET. It briefly grabbed Chidi but the heroes were able to slay the creature. Down the western corridor, an arched, crystal window, six feet wide and ten feet high, peers in on a dark chamber. There were two secret doors in this room. Support my channel via Patreon! Starfinder Battles Galactic Heroes Galactic Villains . Coughing from the noxious gas, the adventurers cover their mouths and wait for the gas to clear. I need a little help/group brainstorming to assist me with altering one of the effects of the magic fountain found in room 9 of the tomb's Rotten Halls. It looked smaller than an adults skull, however. Meanwhile, inside the chest, Yareck casts dispel magic, dispelling the magic powering the magical trap on the chest, thus freeing himself. Mannixs Detect Magic revealed Transmutation Magic around the fountain, but the party was desperately curious. Browse through cards from Magic's entire history. 0000049357 00000 n I have sugested such things as growing hair everyewhere, and if drunk again losing all your hair. Meanwhile, the sarcophagus magically turned crystaline, revealing a skull lord resting within. A skeleton with a square-shaped skull wandered around in that next room. Grunther, though none too bright, was able to explain what he remembered of the tomb. 0000050149 00000 n This document corrects and clarifies some text in Tomb of Annihilation. Once the tunnel is sealed, caustic gas billows out from the mouths of the relief-carved skulls. Picture 1 of 11. In the hallway the party had some quiet time and hunkered for a short rest. Communities, Guides, and Extra Content for the Tomb of Annihilation module from Wizards of the Coast. 0000115463 00000 n 0000003695 00000 n She took a for-real drink, and the same acid-water that George experienced took effect (though she also made the CON save). So they decided to slam a bunch of potions of healing and continue on. Gresh remembered Acererak's riddle on that stone outside the tomb (The keys turn on the inside only). Players unaware that this is possible are in for a rude awakening. The keys turn on the inside only. Then rolled another 2 for the silence effect again. Also available through our digital partners. Yeah I would do something like this - changing hair color, growing or shrinking a foot (but still staying in the same size category). hbbbd`b`` 6 endstream endobj 53 0 obj <>/Metadata 3 0 R/Pages 2 0 R/StructTreeRoot 5 0 R/Type/Catalog/ViewerPreferences<>>> endobj 54 0 obj >/PageTransformationMatrixList<0[1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 -297.0 -391.5]>>/PageUIDList<0 82778>>/PageWidthList<0 594.0>>>>>>/Resources<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC]/XObject<>>>/Rotate 0/StructParents 0/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 594.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 55 0 obj <> endobj 56 0 obj <> endobj 57 0 obj <> endobj 58 0 obj <> endobj 59 0 obj <> endobj 60 0 obj <>stream Andor was telepathically contacted by a little girl who he eventually figured to be the skull int he crystal box. Koopa noticed a small skull floating inside the crystal box, and then a female child's voice spoke to him: "What's happening? I was thinking of replacing it with changing the PC's race and having a secondary table to roll on to determine a random race. Notify administrators if there is objectionable content in this page. From Session 71 of our Tomb of Annihilation live play D&D campaign. Sure enough, the eyes swept over him like he wasnt even there. A snarling monkey-like creature decorates the lid. trailer <]/Prev 306697/XRefStm 1527>> startxref 0 %%EOF 100 0 obj <>stream A moss-covered corridor extends beyond the second door. Drinking from the fountain, Yareck finds himself magically transformed into a woman. He found a stone door blocking his way, an iron lever set into the door, and a stone skull leering down from above. He cast augury as a ritual, asking Illmater if pushing the first button would be a good idea. Casting detect magic, the adventurers discover that the water radiates transmutation magic. In the eastern hallway they saw a diminutive skeleton with an oddly elongated head. A stone sarcophagus rests on a stepped dais in the middle of the floor. Koopa quickly turned the skeletal hand back around, which opened a pit trap beneath him. The Magic Fountain (chapter 5) Hey everyone. 0000028877 00000 n Trying to open it, Yareck sticks his finger in the keyhole. All with official Dungeons & Dragons digital content! When the three keys inside the chests were turned, three buttons magically appeared on the sarcophagus. Click here to edit contents of this page. I go with the book. Ultimately they decided to back away and leave them alone, for now. . Buy the book from Game Kastle to support the D&D Compendium! 41 necrotic damage. There's no record as to the specifics, but the expedition met with utter disaster. Finn convinced Grunther to crawl into the rusted iron chest, and Koopa took the black onyx chest, both of which also had golden keys inside their lids. 0000003556 00000 n They saw the Grand Staircase to the east, but opted to go west toward the Crystal Window. Day 176 The heroes reached the entrance to the Tomb of the Nine Gods with Nine Puzzle Cubes in hand. The heroes quickly exited and took an short rest. (Leads to: Veils of Fear, Oubliette) Veils of Fear Each player loses 2 life unless they discard a card. The adventurers stop to examine the corridor as the skeleton scrambles past the propeller. Therin noted a buildup of gas around the corner, but Gillian fired off a Gust of Wind using her Triton mastery over air and water to disperse it, ran up the nearby stairs, and spotted the secret door right away. I believe he has possessed me of a sort. How did I get here? You could shrink them maybe, but I think they might refrain from drinking so as not to be shrunken more. The hallway then split left and right. Find out what you can do. To the north, the adventurers discover a slab of worked stone, whose edges are marked by relief carvings of skulls. 4 The creature drinking the water gains 2dl0 tempo-rary hit points. 0000026898 00000 n Crossing around the balcony the party noticed another of the weird mask-wearing dwarves looking at them from the floor below before moving out of sight. The character is still substantially the one they wanted to play, just less optimal. 0000001693 00000 n You could run it as a gag, but I dont think youd have to. Bottom line, like for most good D&D questions, is: talk to your players about it. Change the name (also URL address, possibly the category) of the page. The girl shrieked in horror, shattering the crystal box. A deep pit opens up at the entrance to this tomb, with a stone sarcophagus resting at the bottom. Now the next step - the affected player. I heard a voice. It should be something similar, meaning that it should provide a "permanent" change to the player without actually harming them. Therin most likely wont be first in line again any time soon. Obsidian Portal has a lot of really cool features that use JavaScript. I think the idea behind that entry on the chart is that, like, the player won't like the change and will drink again and again to get it to change back, which is lots more chances to get poisoned. Finn raised his holy symbol and turned all the spiders to dust; the floating skull retreated to the back of the room where she was quickly dispatched by Dak and Nori. The jaws opened and both eyes were alight once more. Hover to zoom. On their floor, stairs led down, and three other archways led to different hallways, including the west leading back to the original green devil face intersection. Thanks for all the ideas so far. He took a drink, and the water turned to acid in his mouth, spitting it out (making the CON save) but still taking 26 damage! Investigation of the town confirmed that Nashkel was indeed empty, and there was evidence of violence. Adventurers are sought out and sent to the jungle peninsula of Chult, where they must face . Those who dare enter take heed: The cause is a necromantic artifact called the Soulmonger . Nori was especially curious about this carving. It is meant as a gag and thats not cool - trans player or not. He was already heavily injured from the hallway spike trap in the previous session, and the water appeared to heal him. Once again, if the player disagrees, offer the more neutral alternative. Speak no truth to the doomed child. By clicking OK, I agree, you consent to optional cookies. p[XRiCpQ5Q .% endstream endobj 99 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/Index[5 47]/Length 20/Size 52/Type/XRef/W[1 1 1]>>stream You should check them out. Once that was opened, Billie found and grabbed a gold pendant shaped like an eye. The party correctly surmised this was the In Darkness, It Hides, clue, and left it alone. JavaScript is disabled. Communities, Guides, and Extra Content for the. And a childs voice filled his head, Whats happening, whos there?. Alyssa teleported the party straight to Beregost, but when they reached the end of Elmwood Lane, they found only the Beregost cemetery. This terrible undead creature awoke, bursting out of the crystaline sarcophagus to attack! Required fields are marked *. Like hill dwarves become mountain dwarves, variant humans become regular humans, etc. Yeah, this isn't really a great adventure for players who want a forgiving environment! They then headed north through the other hidden door, easily passed the magnet puzzle with a dispel magic, and found the fountain. Wikidot.com Terms of Service - what you can, what you should not etc. 0000029644 00000 n After the wights were defeated, it took a long time for the adventurers to figure out that they had to wear the green masks to open the sarcophagus, which held a pile of dusty bones and a gold ring. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Lets Play Ori and the Will of the Wisps #3, DMs Guild Review Scourge of the Nightingale Part 1: A Song of Love. /- ~<0=p%KS>}D Keep Your Powder Dry: Firearms for 5E Fantasy CampaignsNearly 40 firearms with customization options for 5E games, plus magic items, feats for gunslingers, and the alchemist character class! Going through the north door, Dak and Finn found a rusting statue of a knight standing at the west end of a hall, gripping a large iron shield. One of the other players had made a joint backstory with this character, and role played depression fairly well. It is difficult to explain.. 0000211347 00000 n You can help our automatic cover photo selection by reporting an unsuitable photo. 0000013576 00000 n 0000012191 00000 n 0000016128 00000 n Plus, sign up for the newsletter in order to get the latest info on Dungeons & Dragons products, events, and special offersand help stay informed! Green smoke billows from the staff, coiling around you like a serpent. I promise to be good.. Victims grow thinner and weaker each day, slowly but steadily sliding toward the death they once denied. The party spent a long time deliberating on how to handle this situation, with Mannix in favor of attacking them now. The open mouth was filled with magical darkness, but Georges Bandanna of Truesight (which will come in very handy throughout this dungeon) could see a monstrous creature lurking within. Ahead, a bas-relief carving of a bearded devils face adorns the wall at a T-shaped intersection. This happened really early into the session. I need a little help/group brainstorming to assist me with altering one of the effects of the magic fountain found in room 9 of the tomb's Rotten Halls. How about it switches their subrace? After dealing with the skull lord in the sarcophagus, the party considered resting in this room, but worried that they'd be harassed by more tomb guardians. Into darkness descend. Starring: Skulls crusted with dried mud glower from niches cut into the walls of this tomb. If you just want to replace it with a harmless effect you could make it change their skin color to something unnatural but annoying like red or bright green. Magic The Gathering Arena of the Planeswalkers Board Game Complete. Defeating the wights, the characters realize that donning the masks make them invisible to the disks eyes anas well as the wights. Join us live on Fridays at 7pm Pacific/10pm Eastern! The chest on the left is carved of black onxy, the middle of rusty iron, and the one on the right is cast of silver and glistening with frost. Below where the grate had been was a sluggish underground river. Obolaka is nervous and paranoid, but also lets their host attune to an additional magic item, which immediately allowed Therin to attune to the Ring of Protection (hes also attuned to the Staff of Thorns, Animated Shield, and Necklace of Prayer Beads). Where am I? a voice of a young child echoes in their minds. They are not part of a player's deck or sideboard. This is the first official adventure I ran (thus the insane amount of resources on this page). Chidi went on point and successfully navigated through he next area, only getting a couple of darts stuck in them. Although the lead up to the Tomb is not so deadly of course. Wiz Kids Chief Yorb - Tomb of Annihilation Box Set 1 - Icons of The Realms - D&D - Dungeons and Dragons - Medium 1" Base Painted Plastic Miniature. Billie investigated the sarcophagus and grabbed a staff lying on top. The bashed their way through and crawled into the room as the wight-corpses rose to attack. In darkness, it hides. Live streamed and uploaded every week on YouTube. Plus there's a human who would then become a variant human, throwing most his stats out of whack and granting him a feat suddenly. At this point the party was finally ready to put this whole cursed fountain behind them, though not before Therin cast Lesser Restoration to cure Gillian. 0000288158 00000 n Everyone decided to give the statue a wide berth. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Gresh used a scroll of mage hand to open the southern door, which had edges made of flint, and sparks caused an explosion on the other side of the door. General Wikidot.com documentation and help section. Here Billie carefully placed the nine puzzle cubes in opposite sides with the neutral one going into the center. It will be tempting to drink again to get back to peak performance, but not mandatory. When they finally succumb, they cant be raisedand neither can anyone else, regardless of whether theyve ever received that miracle in the past. Dungeon cards are nontraditional Magic cards that begin outside the game. Exploring the area further, the adventurers eventually discover another, secret entrance to the west. The issue here is that this would affect more than RP since it could change the PC's stats and would also change up all their race-based abilities. Tomb of Annihilation Session 72 Recap Eric Watson, Tomb of Annihilation Session 83 Recap Eric Watson, Icewind Dale Rime of the Frostmaiden Session 79 - Doom of Ythryn p4. Groups who really don't like wilderness exploration (hex crawl) and puzzles. Story consulting by the award-winning creator of Adventure Time, Pendleton Ward. Khaless tried to Sleight of Hand a faux drink, but Mannixs superior Perception saw through it. Moving down the hall from west to east, the opposing statues depic Moa and Wongo, Ijin and Obolaka, Papazotl and Kubazon, Nangnang and Shagambi. I did have to house rule a use of Shield spell to prevent an early death by firetrap in Camp RighteousI still agonize over my weakness Two choices. This does introduce the possibility of killing a player who thinks he's out of danger, but the more dice, the closer the damage will stick to the average, and the increased danger will be offset by the sense of both drama and fairness. I would even add that youve informed the trans player beforehand, just to make sure the right expectations are set. Something innocuous that will pique their curiosity enough to drink again, and maybe encourage multiple players to drink at once. After some initial confusion, everyone opted to stay inside and ended up dealing with the poisonous gas. Meanwhile Gillian opened the secret door and saw they had made it around to the other side of the tomb within a tomb, which Orvex identified as one of the former gods of Omu Obolaka, judging by the bear statues gripping the eyeball disk. Mannix re-cast Detect Magic, and the party went around the corner to enter the Grand Staircase they had seen from the beginning of the session. Vigrid donned the mask, opened the lid, grabbed the ring, and because inhabitet by the spirit of Obolaka, which gave him the ability to wear the +1 Ring of Protection but Vigrid became risk-adverse. And then the dungeon turned into a window shopping adventure, where the heroes just looked around at a bunch of rooms but never went in any of them. Nothing truly game changing, just a fun little side gag! A Death-Defying Adventure for Levels 1-11 It had been awhile since we last left, so to start this weeks session I repeated the important cutscene that we ended Session 70 with Withers appearing in a magically projected image to welcome the latest victims to Acereraks deathtrap dungeon(tm). Whats happening? Peering into the darkness, the adventurers spy a hunched figure who glares up at them from the balcony below. A Guide to Tomb of Annihilation (pay what you want) Tomb of Annihilation Companion SlyFlourish Guide DMs Workshop Guides Using Adventurer's League Modules Adventurer's League Official Modules World Timeline Through the Events of the Adventure List of Magic Items and their locations in ToA Recommended Materials Preparation Watch the full live session here: https://youtu.be/nRfT8EzcoqE Maybe it's just me absolutely loving death trap dungeons, but the puzzles and Traps are incredibly fun to run/watch my players try to figure out. Watch headings for an "edit" link when available. Shards and flakes of rusted metal cover the floor around the statues feet. My players are scared, they are debating trying to teleport out to regroup. However, I am different. One of the failings of ToA is that there's insufficient foreshadowing of the Tomb, the traps within, its magical conditions, its creator, the atropal, and Acererak. Finn explored down the left hallway instead, checking for traps as he went. While Dak threw a rope down to Koopa and helped the tortle out of the pit, Finn reset the trap, jammed the pit closed, and opened the stone door. Yuan-ti Broodguard. A bas-relief carving of a green devil's face adorned the wall at the T-shaped intersection; the devil's open mouth was a well of darkness. Manufacturer: WizKids/NECA. Uncertain what to make of the chests, the adventurers descend into the pit, recover the skull cap of the skeleton and move on. JavaScript is currently disabled. Adventure design by Christopher Perkins, Will Doyle, and Steve Winter, with additional design by Adam Lee. The companions didn't explore much further that way because they had no desire to go swimming, for indeed this passage led to the underground river. The dead seemed to outnumber the living these days. Wearing a mask that is a replica of the devil face at the tomb entrance, the creature steps out of sight without saying a word. 0000015845 00000 n After a minute, the stone barrier rose and the puzzle cubes still in the wall were ejected. If the effect occurs, Id talk to the player in question separately, explain their current situation, and ask them if they are ok with it. [SBLOCK=Save or Die List]LEVEL ONE 9. We think you'll have a much more enjoyable experience. Instead of breaking through the window, George and Therin lifted up the nearby iron grate, and the party began dropping down into the claustrophobic water tunnel below. Temples and scholars of divine magic are at a loss to explain a curse that has affected the entire region, and possibly the entire world. Don the mask or be seen. Casting detect magic, the adventurers discover that the water radiates transmutation magic. Since that has no bearing on health, stats, or really anything other than RP, it really just seems to be in there as a gag (I'm aware that a similar feature exists in one of the portals in the Tomb of Horrors). She said that Desatysso had used the Dreamer's Amulet to get them out of the tomb, that he had broken it into three pieces. To the north, a stone staircase descends to the lower levels. Click to enlarge. Now they could fully investigate the room: Through some trial and error, the heroes learned that someone had to get into each of the three chests to turn the interior key. The creature scrambles down a passage to the north on the other side of the staircase and the adventurers follow. Let me help you! Don't play it. He ran into the next room to find a sarcophagus sitting in the middle; on the far wall stood two bear statues holding a large golden disk between them. Dak noted the shards and flakes of rusted metal on the floor around the statue's feet. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The cover is visually disturbing . Four lines engraved at the center of the slab cross one to another to form a star, with both ends of each line marking the location of a cube shaped cavity cut into the door eight cavities in all. Entering the chamber, the adventurers discover that the statue has a magical field that attracts metal objects. As it does so, swarms of spiders appear from the cracks in the walls. George, level 9 Tortle Battle Master Fighter/Rogue Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Most of them needed the Advantage just to make a DC 10 Athletics check to cross the room, avoiding the pull of the magnet, and reaching a circular room with a fountain in the middle. The talk of the streets and taverns has all been about the so-called death curse: a wasting disease afflicting everyone whos ever been raised from the dead. Yellow Musk Creeper. Adventure Game Industry Market Research Summary (RPGs) V1.0, TSR, WotC, & Paizo: A Comparative History, Eric Noah's Unofficial D&D 3rd Edition News, Tomb of Annihilation NPC name source/generator, Too Many NPCs! We think you'll have a much more enjoyable experience. They used the wooden ladder to cross back over, though noted a hallway led toward the east. Following a passage to the east, the adventurers discover a grand chamber, fifty feet across that plunges into darkness below. (Leads to: Sandfall Cell) Sandfall Cell Each player loses 2 life unless they sacrifice a creature, artifact, or land. Next they focused their attention on the sarcophagus, which they correctly assumed was the zorbo Obolaka. Manifesting within the realm as a terrible plague, it is a slow, withering rot that takes hold of any soul who has been restored by divine intervention. Astone sarcophagus rests on a stepped dais in the mid-Any creature that drinks from the fountain experiences dle ofthe floor. You should check them out. Therin and George pushed aside the sarcophagus, finding the bones of a zorbo, and a magical ring. The Tomb in General First, you need to read the part on pages 126 and 127 about the Skeleton Keys, and make sure that the party gets the idea early on that they need to find one of these malformed skeletons on each level of the tomb. The heroes got into the water and headed upstream where they found a chest at the head of the waterway. They didn't know where that flesh golem had come from, or the frequency in which more might arrive. Koopa drank water from the fountain, and felt pretty ill afterward. Its very Alice in Wonderland. 0000014707 00000 n Fear the night when the forsaken one seizes death's mantle and the seas dry up and the dead rise and I, Acererak the Eternal, reap the world of the living. While this was happening, Billie noticed that the pendant he found in the eastern tunnel seemed to be pulling him towards a previously unseen western tunnel. 0000008200 00000 n Would this be too big a change? See cards from the most recent sets and discover what players just like you are saying about them. After the last one was vanquished, they investigated the disk of eyes first. Secret doors were found to the north and to the south. 0000071139 00000 n 7/23/2021: Dungeon cards may be put into a player's command zone using the venture into the dungeon keyword action found on some cards from the Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. Youre right to nix that effect. View/set parent page (used for creating breadcrumbs and structured layout). The knight statue seemed to be some kind of magical magnet that attracted metals to it. Emboldened by the result, Gillian lapped up some water while Mannix tried to investigate the effects on Orvex. Xandala. In an adjoining room, a rusting statue of a knight stands at the west end of the hall, gripping a large iron shield. The tomb itself, is IMO the strongest part of the adventure. Disclaimer: This adventure will make your players hate you the kind of simmering hatred that eats away at their souls until all that remains are dark little spheres of annihilation where their hearts . "Can I cast Tashas Laughter on myself to cheer myself up?". But Chenin and Ohgram failed over and over, and over, and over again. Having said that, I have no idea what that might be other than gender. Dozens of eyes suddenly opened all over the disk, all of them fixated on him. I promise to be good!, I believe so, says Yareck. After much deliberating, the heroes returned to the room with the window and decided this was to be next. He felt its nervousness gradually seep into his own personality. Eventually, the characters realize that the stone slab they heard falling was the secret door they discovered in the chamber with the bronze disk covered in eyes. Andor came back from a nap and did the Fan Challenge and he made it through unscathed as well. Billie also acquired the Staff of the Serpent here. I'll instead have it reduce a character to dying with one auto failed death saving throw. Encircling the keyhole is a tiny inscription, written in Common, that reads, I devour all but the greatest of thieves.. Why cant I see anything? His voice got higherhis hips widenhis beard fell outhis breasts grew. Bow as the dead god intoned. This strays pretty far from that, what with the dangerous jungles, aztec style motifs, dinosaurs, and trap-heavy death waiting around every choice you make. Traveling north George felt a tug from a knight statue ahead. 0000005477 00000 n 0000037863 00000 n Speak no truth to the doomed child. When they did, they looked back and on the lower level they spotted a Tomb Dwarf wearing a mask similar to the devil face at the tomb entrance. In a grand staircase that descended into darkness, the heroes stayed on this level and traveled to the opposite side. It ran through the open mouth, and one of its fiery eyes winked out. I want to replace random effect #3 (creature changes sex) with something more interesting. Chidia decided to drink again and lost her voice. 0000010861 00000 n Another one can be growing a foot tall or foot shorter. Send a suggestion; Uninstall Wikiwand; Upgrade to Wikiwand 2.0 Our magic isn't perfect. The record I found ended with, 'And so the two remaining companions of Falon returned with him to Beregost, the town of Falon's birth. Afraid of the fountains other potential powers, the adventurers return to the previous chamber, using a wall of stone spell to prevent the statue from destroying anymore of their equipment. Gresh noticed writing on one of the stones. Inside the sarcophagus was a mummy clutching a evil looking mace. We use necessary cookies to allow our site to function correctly and collect anonymous session data. Koopa shoved one of the huge black stones aside, revealing a dusty passageway beyond. Knowing my group, I am considering just telling them where the 'danger zone' is: * Although I normally roll behind the screen or take the average, I think in these cases i will amp up the drama by doing the insta-kill damage rolls out in front of everyone. Therin, level 9 Hill Dwarf Druid of the Moon. Inside, they discover three keys, one in each of the chests. Tomb of Annihilation Spoilers, Tomb of Annihilation - Valindra's role (spoilers), Advice for running Tomb of Horrors with a twist (+), Tomb of Annihilation Post-Mortem (Spoilers), Ignore/Block Essentials, Paid Registrations by. APEuAAAAX n>WL,VePaCp @7/bXqWf$lf-`O`+aTm3u^ Yareck lifts the staff out of the tomb. Thus, it's up to the DM to (1st) understand the Tomb and how the traps work, then (2nd) find opportunities to foreshadow that information for the players.
Paige Heard How Did She Die, Articles T