Here's why, Richie Saunders really likes Vegas, which is good for BYU basketball, Ashworth, Aggies blow by Rebels to keep NCAA Tournament aspirations alive, More to do: Utah Valley clinches WAC title share with win over UT Arlington, Provo River diverted as restoration project reaches 'major milestone', 1 killed when business jet encounters severe turbulence, CDC issues advisory after confirmed measles case in Kentucky, Police say man killed by Farmington officers had gun; victim's mom filed suit over other traffic stop, Do not 'push a slower friend down' if you encounter a bear, National Park Service warns, Have You Seen This? Id like to be wealthy as much as the next guy. Gordon Monson laid off from 1280. The Zone was meant to step up, not down, to stir thought, to break through tradition and conformity, to punch sacred cows and puncture sanctimony, to praise great performances and criticize lousy ones. Was it because I had recently written a column criticizing church leader Jeffrey Holland for a speech he gave at BYU and someone somewhere wanted to avoid a difficult explanation for having a host on the air who would do such a thing? But what if a faithful believer has to work, whether its for an essential service doctors, nurses, police officers, air traffic controllers, firefighters, etc. Gordon Monson is a Mormon sports writer for the Salt Lake Tribune (a publication started by the Godbeites to attack church leaders and policies- true story). Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns. Yeah so what if you reject your priesthood duties. without any fanfare due to his recent SL Trib column. David James and I made the cut that had Jazz ownership cede control of the radio network to KSL broadcasting management. Its unquestionably showing up through the calmness and the chaos. Some folks need to be encouraged that . what can we change about our inherently fundamentalist beliefs and ideologies to appeal to a younger marketplace and modern consumers? , Gordon Monson: Utah ends a season filled with victory with a hurtful defeat in the Rose BowlThere was a mix of sadness and gladness in the hearts of the Utes walking off the field at the Rose Bowl on Saturday Tribune columnist Gordon Monson writes. Gordon Monson has been a columnist at The Salt Lake Tribune since 1993. Check out our facebook forum where we discuss ideas that shape ourworld. Not completely sure where or how this tradition started, every general authority needing an initial somewhere in his name, but, please, let it stop. For those who dont know, Gordon Monson was a long-time Utah sports radio host for 97.5 1280 The Zone. Monson: Goodbye, Gordon Hayward, whoever you are Not the you who was ducking out down a back alley, looking for the easier route. It's never easy to lose a job. Also if family is defined as "love without motive, love without conditions", I wonder if or why he would oppose queer polygamy advocates like fellow member of the church Blaire Ostler who makes that exact same argument to support bringing back polygamy, but a more "expansive" polygamy. GordonMonson The fact that this needs such an overhaul to me is an indication that it is not the word of a God. Maybe some of it never will be. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/01/02/gordon-monson-please-dont/. Hunter. Goodbye, Gordon Hayward, we hardly knew you. Not sure. In some form or fashion, he has played a part in contributing to the employment of many on-air talent and producers across multiple stations. WFAN afternoon host Evan Roberts thought he was reading a story from sports satire site Ballsack Sports while perusing the report. Maybe an occasional palm to the forehead. Why arent parts of Utahs prison being saved for historys sake. Heres what would be much better: For them to be known for their charity, for their Christlike acts, for their contributions to society. Its a wonderful chance for growth and maturation for some. I know, I know, many are called, but few are chosen. I liked the family proclamation part a lot. When his lieutenants asked him what on Gods green earth he was doing, coming on a show with the other guys, he uttered the essence of what our station was about. And there shall also be many which shall say: And if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God. Gopher Sports Properties and iHeartMedia have agreed to a new contract that will keep the Golden Gophers on KFAN, KFAN+, and KTLK through the end of the 2026-2027 academic year. Puritanism or Victorian, or both? In pink tops and white pants, women celebrate free period products becoming available in Utahs state buildings, Proposal to boost Utah bar licenses gets smaller with another round of cuts by lawmakers, Moab, Park City cry foul as Utah lawmakers target rules for vacation homes. He died at age 90 from causes incident to age. Paul Pabst Pays Off 5-Year-Old Bet On Dan Patrick Show, Rich Shertenlieb: NFL, NBC Wouldnt Let Anyone Find Out If Tom Brady Has Covid, I fact-checked this nine times, because I said This can not be real.. It is for discussions centered around agreements, disagreements, and observations about any of the institutional churches and their leaders, conduct, business dealings, teachings, rituals, and practices. With tender feelings we announce that Thomas S. Monson, president and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died this evening at 10:01 pm in his home in Salt Lake City. From this vantage point, it's clear to see. They can be Republican, Democrat, conservative, progressive, outgoing, reserved, refined or rugged. While one family might avoid watching television, another might see gathering around the TV for a movie or a sporting event or any other kind of entertainment as a fine family activity. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world." All topics? GordonMonson He's asking for The Lord to give the ok for his personal sinful desires. Press J to jump to the feed. GordonMonson GordonMonson I'm Glad bro Monson is not the Prophet- we'd look like every other religion out there. This book, "The Daughter," is her version of the story in the Fascination With Life series in the first book, "The Longest Five Minutes." That was the first book in this series. I do hope you have a large readership to support you. Below are a few of the "interesting" ideas from his article. Mental health should and would be hugely considered here, as would earnest desire. It came from a gossip site that said Tom Brady is pushing back the start of his TV career until the fall of 2024 because Tom Brady wants to begin a career in standup comedythis is Radar Online. It may be a wine bar, but a bar nonetheless!. "And, he's a deep thinker, pushing the envelope with commentary that allows the reader or listener to think outside the box. All others make their own choices, according to their personal inspiration. minutes. I am somebody that should be in that room.. That was Jackson Guild's version of what happened during and after the natural. Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?". Enlarge your audience. So what. The next youth leader who uses the chewed-stick-of-gum analogy for any girl who falls short of the moral-cleanliness standard so revered in church teachings would be put in timeout for a few months to rethink that comparison. Monson, who had been co-hosting the afternoon show on The Zone alongside Jake Scott, co-founded the independent station with Utah Jazz TV voice Craig Bolerjack. Ill go on writing my column here, loving the written word, same as it ever was, for a while yet. Do not seek entertainment or make purchases on this day. Your suggestions are sound and I support you 100%. Maybe an argument now and again. All did their jobs professionally well, most of the time. (Illustration by Christopher Cherrington | The Salt Lake Tribune). Russ Heltman is a daily news writer for BSM. And then the steady climb. But, as mentioned, it worked. 29K subscribers in the mormon community. Im rooting for them. It wasnt so much that he loved algebra or geometry or trigonometry or the confines of the classroom. Another called a high-ranking Utah administrator a liar. It was 20 years ago this fall that Craig Bolerjack and I huddled up to discuss the birth of a new sports-talk radio station in Salt Lake City. GordonMonson Narrator: The members of the cult had different feelings about some of the membership requirements. Get ready for more Ute coverage. Honestly, about time. The two things we wanted to avoid: cheap shots and cheerleading. (Lynne Sladky | AP) Philadelphia Phillies' Bryce Harper during a baseball game against the Miami Marlins, Saturday, Oct. 2, 2021, in Miami. Miller Co. signed a contract. Gordon Monson was not retained by Bonneville when the company took over operations of 97.5/1280 The Zone earlier this month. GordonMonson I applaud your courage in writing this article. Editor's column: Gordon Monson, BYU and Mormons (Had to get one sports reference in here. President Thomas S. Monson has served as the 16 th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since February 3, 2008. Thats an unfortunate emphasis on the wrong things. GordonMonson Some good perspectives. His primary focus is Sports. On December 31, 2022, Dori Monson passed away at 61. Then came Thursday of last week, when word rolled out that KSL had taken over the station, had been ceded control of the station, and that Austin Horton, a terrific producer, and I were casualties. All other content is 1999-2023 SM Consulting, LLC. Gordon Monson thinks his firing was a conspiracy by BYU - CougarBoard SALT LAKE CITY Utah sports radio lost a legend last week, one whose accomplishments over the last 25 years are the standard in a competitive and precarious industry. 'Mormon Land': Gordon Monson discusses his 20 church reforms GORDON MONSON hosts "The Gordon Monson Show" weekdays from 2-6 p.m. on 104.7 FM/1280 AM . This is where the discussion here separates from poor me and turns to a much more important matter open reporting and free commentary in this town and state that is not controlled or swayed by a dominant overlord. Reading or replaying the story in its Father. Monson: BYU should offer an open hand, not a clenched fist Things he thinks leaders should change. President Thomas S. Monson One host most regrettably did a radio remote from a Salt Lake City strip club. They thought he was a moron, a moron who was married with a wife and a small child who was squandering talents given from God, turning down all that economic opportunity for himself and his young family. /r/Mormon is a subreddit for articles and topics of interest to people interested in Mormon themes. He didnt beat anybody over the head with his own personal, strident brand of righteousness, his higher standard. There was no sanctimony in his decision. By the way, which is unhealthier banned coffee or permissible energy drinks that simultaneously spin the body and blow the mind in a thousand different directions? Which, of course, he does not define but which he implies is some sort of unconditional affirmation (which is not the way Christ defined love). Here Are The Winners of the BSM Summit California College Contest & Secret Email Contest, Mason & Ireland, Petros & Money to Share The Stage at the 2023 BSM Summit, WWEs Shawn Michaels to Discuss Talent Development at the 2023 BSM Summit, Joe DAngelo of Xperi, Larry Rosin of Edison Research to Host Sessions at the 2023 BSM Summit, FOX Sports NFL Insider Jay Glazer to Receive The Champions Award at the 2023 BSM Summit, Barrett Sports Medias Top 20 Major Market Sports Radio Stations of 2022, Barrett Sports Medias Top 20 Mid Market Sports Radio Stations of 2022, Barrett Sports Medias Top 20 Major Market Sports Radio Program Directors of 2022, Barrett Sports Medias Top 20 Mid Market Sports Radio Program Directors of 2022, Barrett Sports Medias Top 20 Major Market Sports Radio Afternoon Shows of 2022, Meet The Market Managers: Vinny DiMarco, Good Karma Brands New York, Meet The Market Manager: Mark Glynn, iHeartMedia Seattle, Meet The Market Managers: Jay Davis, Cumulus Media Oklahoma City, Meet the Market Managers: Steve Wexler, Good Karma Brands Milwaukee, Meet The Market Managers: Michael Spacciapolli, Audacy Pittsburgh, Jason Barrett Podcast: Fred Jacobs, Jacobs Media, Jason Barrett Podcast: Matthew Berry, NBC Sports, Jason Barrett Podcast: Jeff Smulyan, Never Ride a Roller Coaster Upside Down, Jason Barrett Podcast: Damon Bruce, 95.7 The Game, Jason Barrett Podcast: Rich Eisen, NFL Network, Seller to Seller: Cody Welling, Cox Media Group, Seller to Seller: Adam Shifrin, Westwood One, Seller to Seller: Don Ricker, DR & Associates, Seller to Seller: Larry Rosin, Edison Research, Sports Talkers Podcast Jason Benetti, FOX, Sports Talkers Podcast Kenny Mayne, Hey Mayne, Evan Roberts: I Thought Tom Brady Standup Comedy Report Was From Ballsack Sports, University of Minnesota Signs New Deal With iHeartMedia Minneapolis, Rich Eisen Wants to Be on NFL Competition Committee, SacTown Sports 1140 Adds San Francisco 49ers, Dean Blandino: NFL Could Win Over Skeptical Fans With XFL Replay Transparency, Boston Celtics Voice Mike Gorman Explains Recent Health Scare, Reason For Eye Patch, MSG Networks Launching Streaming Service This Summer, Kendrick Perkins: My Broadcasting Career Can Be Better Than My NBA Career, ESPN Gives Burke Magnus, Rosalyn Durant New Executive Duties, MLB Staffs Newly Launched Local Media Department, Ahmad Rashad Hosting Interview Series on NBA App, KFC: Barstool New York Office Will Evolve Into Comedy Production Powerhouse, Rob Parkers MLBBro Partnering With Major League Baseball, 6 NBA Franchises Launching Podcasts With iHeartMedia, Pat McAfee Officially Served Court Filing By Brett Favre, The Tribune is also reporting that other radio producers were let go as part of the transition from the day-to-day operations of the Smith Entertainment group-owned station.. The answer is BYU. Eisen listed gripes that included roughing the passer calls not being reviewable and turnovers caused by fumbling the ball in the endzone. As a part of my work for the station, there was an arrangement not to censor or pressure me in any way, to not attempt to change or steer my opinions, or hinder or punish me on any issue, whether that commentary was in print or on the air. The two men sold the independent station Larry H. Miller Sports and Entertainment in 2012. Dont know whatever happened to him, where he is all these years later, and I dont really care. The vast mayhem in and around sports, in the middle of that sloppy intersection where athletics sometimes collides with religion and pop culture and politics and open opinion, where no cow, no nothing, is sacred or sanctimonious, thats more than just the code by which The Zone lives. sltrib.com 1996-2023 The Salt Lake Tribune. Rather than Bonneville dealing with sign a new one down the road, they decided to just pay him out the rest of it and be done with him. Gordon Monson: Utah fans are everywhere, worshiping at college footballs cathedralTheres something about the Rose Bowl and its mystique, its history, its draw that brings people in. I hope he lands on his feet. Longtime Salt Lake Tribune sports columnist Gordon Monson usually writes about first downs, double-faults, 3-pointers and four-baggers.
Ucla Summer Research Program High School, Mark Consuelos Siblings, Articles W