Posted: 11/11/2012 6:04:07 PM EST [#2] Velocity with a 105gr bullet from both is 2750 fps. I also confirmed velocity for existing conditions. I must note here how hard it hit. I have the 6 ARC and getting great results of .250 groups when I do my part. Dave Bahde Dr. WT? The suppressor is an X2Devgroup, Orion X. Its short at 6, light at 16 ounces, and has no backpressure eliminating excess gas. I have never had a easier caliber to load for. Minuteman. for a Remington 40XB Rifle in 6m/m Remington Bench Rest back in 1985 or so. Topic: 6MM BR or 6MM Dasher?????? | ReeseBottom All of the eyeball'ed loads produced sub-MOA groups. Benchrest (BR) shooters will go to almost any length to shave 0.001 inch off of their aggregate average, and there is a diverse assemblage of 6mm wildcat rounds for BR shooters. I wasn't going to take a shot at more than 50 or 60 yards and would take my time before I squeezed the trigger. The 6mm ARC is basically the 6.5 Grendel necked down to hold a .243 bullet with the 30-degree shoulder pushed back a smidgen. 6mm ARC: Fact or Fiction? Real Performance Results, From-Scratch LMT MWS, 20 224V, Sig Sauer Tango 6, 3-18 MRAD Dev-L using Federal GMM 90 grain SMK and an 18 SS Match 6.8 SPC with 110 Grain VMAX. Velocity can be a factor, but given the same weight, recoil should be similar so I kept the weights as close as possible. 2730 FPS and way over-pressured though SDs were single digits, groups were all just over 1.25 MOA. 6 BR REM, not 6.5. Accuracy was up to par, and shooters took to the rifle-cartridge combo like a duck, well, you know. I did not try to shoot past 900 today because of limited ammo and Applied Balistics indicates that at 2550 FPS MV these 108s are going transsonic just past 900 and I didnt want to waste the last few shots. In the 1970s, the .222 Rem. Its all about the lack of correlation between mapping out rounds on a computer and sending them downrange at targets measured in yards. Federal has created a safer, easier and more reliable way to shoot a muzzleloader. 6mm ARC vs 6mm BR Wait a minute. Long-range precision shooting is one of the fastest-growing segments of the shooting sports. But no matter, new is new. It also produced the best accuracy as seen here: This load is a good performer, but I wanted to see if I could get more velocity from the 108 grain ELD-M bullets, so I tried a different powder! Probably not. With the 6PPC you have to turn necks and fire-form the cases from smaller 220 Russianbrass. remains a solid performer with todays high-tech bullets, new powders, and fast-twist rifle barrels. The 6mm Creedmoorin the same fashion of its larger counterpartfits those bullets very well. The Eagle Eye 6.5 Creedmoor shoots a 130gr hybrid projectile with a .295 G7 at 2,960fps from an average 26" barrel. 6mm ARC - Wikipedia Designed to meet the needs of the worlds toughest critics, the 6mm ARC utilizes efficient, high-BC bullets to deliver unprecedented performance from the AR-15 platform. only ever shot someone else's 6br but I have to say I liked it a lot . With this testing behind me, I must say it was fun, I enjoyed it and will keep testing as new ammunition is available. It fits in an AR mag. Straight-wall rounds like Winchesters little 350 Legend may be the only centerfire rifle cartridges legal for deer hunting in some states, so of course theyre going to be popular. For an ordinary AR-15 rifle chambered for the .223 Rem/5.56mm NATO, a new barrel, magazine and bolt are required to convert to the 6mm ARC. I wont even mention primers as that is just generic across the board with any caliber at this point. The author marvels at the gun industry's ability to create ever more cartridges that keep the shooting sports fresh. Or anything? HunterMann Well-Known Member LRH Team Member Joined Jan 18, 2021 I started out a skeptic, not terribly excited about the 6mm ARC. Wilson Combat will offer WC-15 6mm ARC rifles with our match-grade, 18" fluted/threaded Tactical Hunter barrel. Image shows 243 Winchester, 6mm Remington, 240 Weatherby Magnum, older and faster than the Hornady 6mm ARC. [citation needed]. In simple terms, its essentially a 6mm Grendel with the Creedmoor treatment, alterations to the shoulder and casing for better feeding, more consistency, and ease of mass production. In addition to the above comments there is some confusion regarding the 6 mm ARC's performance. I also shot mine with an Ultra 9 direct-thread suppressor. We're going backwards! Many shooters necked the BR case down, and a 6mm version ultimately became the 6mm BR Remington. Thanks in large part to new, long-range shooting competitions, our acceptance of lower velocity accelerated even as muzzle velocities decelerated. it looks like the 6mm ARC is 1.490 and the grendel case is 1.52, so not much of a shortening if really at all. Do not attempt any of the processes or procedures shown or described on this website. This colored our perception of lower velocity rounds. If I was gonna go to a 6mm cartridge I would either do 6x47lapua because I already brass and all I need is a smaller neck bushing, or I would go all in on 6br. Poll: Where are you finding reloading primers and powder? My guess is that Hornady is banking on a broader market with hunters and enthusiasts, once more ammunition is available. Hornady launched the 6mm ARC with three factory loads: a 103-grain ELD-X Precision Hunter at an advertised 2,800 fps, 105-grain BTHP Hornady Black at an advertised 2,750 fps and the 108-grain ELD-Match load at a stated 2,750 fps. ELD (l.) makes for an excellent long-range target round, while the 103-gr. 6 ARC Tikka | Rokslide Forum The current reincarnation of this round is the 6mm BR Norma, with essentially the same case dimensions. Thank you for this timely video. Once we could pinpoint exact distance to target, maximum velocity didnt matter as much. Required fields are marked *. Long-range started with a cold shot at 600 meters using the reticle followed by one at 1100 meters using confirmed elevation dialed in, holding for wind. As the dust settled and reality set in this dissipated a bit. [10] The 6mm ARC therefore can also be a suitable chambering for shorter "micro-action" bolt-action rifles. The 6mm ARC is a 5.56-platform compatible cartridge, similar to the 6.5 Grendel. Velocities were established from a 24-inch barrel. Low velocity from a short cartridge means it fits in a shorter, potentially stiffer action which can contribute to increased accuracy. The bullet drop for the 6.5 Grendel is slightly greater because it's a larger bullet. What does the 6 ARC do that the 6 BR REM hasn't been doing for over 50 years? Theres more coming related to 6mm ARC! It stays supersonic farther downrange than the 308 Win. I previously tested them in other calibers. Five shot rapid-fire was not bad. Learn the difference between revolvers and semi-auto pistols and what makes them different. ZEV cleaned house using the David Tubb DTR reticle. [7] What the 6mm ARC does offer though is almost comparable velocities and ballistic performance, but out of a compact cartridge that has lessened perceived recoil and fits into the standard AR-15 length actions. range.) Handloads are easy to prepare, and while my limited use of the .240 Wby. I had a 6mm Norma BR built on a Remington 700 and I could not get it to feed from the magazine. For example, the data in the Hornady 11th Edition Manual for an 18 in (457 mm)-barrelled AR-15 platform firearm was on average 200-300 ft/s (60-90 m/s) less than the data for the 24 in (610 mm)-barrelled CZ 527 bolt action rifle. In many ways, the race to the bottom is paying off. The 6.5 Grendel was made by modifying the 220 Russian parent case. Honey Badger, XM2010, C22, R4, MSR, CSR, AAC, BARNES BULLETS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykTfyrMiXps). If you already have an AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel, the ONLY thing you need to change is the barrel. 224 Valkyrie vs 6mm ARC: Which Cartridge Wins? - The Mag Life 6 ARC Testing To set up a viable 6mm ARC vs. these other calibers, I set 100-meter zeros, then confirmed at 1100 meters providing a proven hold at range. The 6mm ARC uses commonly available 6.5 Grendel magazines/bolts. Jeff, did you mean to type - 6.5BR? 6mm ARC vs 6mm BR. Comparing 6mm ARC to 6mm CR is is apples and oranges again. Required fields are marked *. The old 243 Winchester can beat that by about 300 fps. Hornady's new 6mm ARC was designed for a specific military requirement; the 108-gr. Years ago I authored an article titled Lies, Damn Lies, and Ballistics. The .244 Rem. One other fine 6mm round is the .240 Weatherby Magnum. 6mm ARC vs 243: Cartridge Comparison by Ammo.com It doesn't need a .308 sized action to work. It is accurate, produces good velocities, and the copper eraser stuff in this powder makes barrel cleaning a breeze. Low velocity coupled with relatively light bullets reduces recoil. Its 26-inch barrel made the rifle a bit heavy for toting over hill and dale, plus the 1:12-inch twist limited bullet weights to 90 grains or lighter. You can get the 6XC brass in Norma which is very good. It depends on numerous factors, including ammunition used, barrel used, and the shooter's skill, but in general, 6mm ARC is a more precise cartridge. was introduced in Remingtons Model 722 short-action bolt gun, and while the Model 722 was a very accurate rifle, it was rather plain. It will be interesting if they chamber this in micro-action bolt carbines like the Grendel has been. Follow up to the above. The powder loads for the test spanned 1.6 grains and I fired 24 shots and only two were more than 1 MOA out. Some may scoff at the old-fashioned roundnose bullet, but it is a terrific game bullet, and I have never had to use a second shot to down a deer. With the release in 2020, Hornady also launched three factory loads with 103,105 and 108gr (6.7,6.8 and 7.0g) bullet weights and advertised G1 ballistic coefficients of .512, .530 and .536 respectively.[6]. Shots were aimed from a bi-pod, the rifle on the bench with me standing behind it. .458 Winchester Magnum History: The Complete Story, 6.8 Western Ammo Options: The Load of Long Yardage, A World Record Attempt: Practice Round and Media Day, Interview with Israeli Defense Forces, Part 1. As Jackie says there's a big difference in the cases. The 24 Nosler is exceptionally accurate and mild mannered and has cleanly taken numerous midsized big-game animals. Thankfully most bantering moved back to more pressing issues like high demand (and low supply) of firearms or ammunition and that pesky election coming up in a few short months. Dr. There is no magnum behind those titles, yet they are fastest or close to fastest in their calibers. Sneak Peek of Bryan Litz's New Book: Volume III of Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting. It may not display this or other websites correctly. My speed is significantly slower ( 50 FPS) than Gavins at 2552 FPS with an SD of 6. 6mm Hagar vs. 6mm AR - AR15.COM Will it be my go-to bang away rifle, not likely. 6MM AR vs 6 BR | Shooters' Forum Slower, sure, but not enough to matter in the real world on real threats. Thanks Find. Posts: 11,077. At the moment, it remains a proprietary caliber with one source of magazines and ammo, unproven. H-4895 is closer to the 6.5 Grendel sweet spot, so I thought it would be worth a try. Accordingly, the firm introduced two loads. Just looking for a ball park difference. The cartridge was developed by Noslers Mike Lake, and it was approved by SAAMI in 2017. If this development strikes you as the opposite of progress, you might have spent the bulk of your life in the 20th century. Contact ultimate reloader by clicking here. Subscriber Services. ZevTech, 16 Proof Research .223 Wylde barrel, Leupold Optics Mark 6, 3-18 with a David Tubb DTR reticle and Black Hills 77 Grain TMK. Truth be told, the magnum race is still underway. The 6mm ARC is a medium-power cartridge comparable to the 6.5mm Grendel, but with better ballistics thanks to the greater muzzle velocity achieved by using lighter 6 mm bullets and enough power to make use of the heavy 6 mm bullets. A new 100-grain factory deer load completed the rounds metamorphosis. Has any one who has both ever measured the case capacity (H2O) My google foo has failed me. Hornady is an obvious first choice for selecting 6mm projectiles to load the 6mm ARC with. Fast is better but slow means mo? Distance is its forte and with its 2020 introduction and ability to flatten the trajectory curve, the 6mm ARC might ought to have been called the "Corona cartridge.". All Rights Reserved. There is a lot of hoped for or imagined history related to the 22 BR and 6 BR cartridges. The Barnes 80-grain Tipped Triple-Shock BoatTail sizzles with a velocity of 3,226 fps with a safe loading of VihtaVuori N550 powder, and the Speer 90-grain Hot-Cor can easily achieve 3,115 fps with VihtaVuori N160. Using 26 to 28 inch barrels in bolt guns, 6ARC may be easy for those that do not reload or have primers. I shot out to 700 yards next with .4 to .5 MOA accuracy and ended the day putting 3 out of 3 shots on the 900 yard gong in a .4 MOA group. Photo shows high B.C. Jan 13, 2021. 6mm ARC Reloading - What You Need to Know - Firearms News Many handloaders like the 6mm Rem.s sharper shoulder and longer case, and while its not nearly as popular as the .243 Win., it is nonetheless a great 6mm round. Ultimate Reloader LLC is not responsible for errors in load data on this website. You will not find better quality and consistency when it comes to Lapua. Hornady Precision Hunter 6mm ARC 103 Grain Jacketed Soft Point Centerfire Rifle Ammunition, 20, SBT (Save 10%) $2.15/Round. bullets straight and seated above the powder reservoir. In my next story Ill be deep-diving on the CMMG Endeavor 20 6mm ARC AR-15, and will be stretching its legs to greater distances. Its easy to understand why its such an excellent performer. The laser rangefinder, in part. I had a Remington Model 700 BDL Varmint rifle rebarreled with a heavy stainless-steel barrel chambered for the round, and it lived up to its reputation. and 6mm Rem., but it pushes them a little faster. JavaScript is disabled. The .223 does have advantages, though. Some tactics never die, they just get regenerated. While it did well the clear winner was the 6CM, high BC and extra velocity are hard to overcome at this range. 'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs'); 2023 Copyright 2023 Ultimate Reloader LLC. In 1955, on the heels of the .243 Win., the .243 Rock Chucker was modified slightly by Remington and became the .244 Remington. pathfinder76 #14942491 06/04/20. The old 243 Winchester can beat that by about 300 fps. Shop 6.5 Grendel Ammo Above: 6mm ARC case capacity measured 33.96 grains H2O. Another interesting development is the 6mm Dasher that was developed by Al Ashton and benchrest gunsmith Dan Dowling. It is chambered in many very good and some very inexpensive rifles, which have helped make it the hit that it is. Dropped on my M16 lower doubles and triples stayed on a full-sized silhouette out to 25 yards, stretched doubles to 50 yards. The first set of data is loaded to the SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP) of 52,000 psi, which is stated to be suitable for gas-operated firearms such as the AR-15 platform and its derivatives. It is reported to be very accurate, but its aura is eclipsed by the shadow of the 6mm PPC. RFR #2: The Most Flexible Cartridge in the World? 6mm ARC vs 6.5 All of these are heading in the opposite direction. That wont change and logistically the 6 ARC is still at baby steps. The 6mm ARC's more efficient projectiles with their high BCs provides superior exterior ballistics with noticeably less wind drift, higher retained velocity and greater retained energy. I'm pretty sure that the dies were marked 6 BR REM. Clearly better to galivant around the countryside with then an AR10. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. Its release as a commercial round was presaged by a number of successful 6mm wildcats like the 6mm AR based on the Grendel. Why step up to a loud, hard-kicking 300 PRC when youre dropping your deer with your 6.5 Grendel as far as you can shoot in your hunting field? Thats only a minor impediment for serious riflemen. [9] The 6mm ARC utilizes the same bolt head size as the 6.5mm Grendel, and 6.5mm Grendel-compatible AR-pattern box magazines have also been used successfully with the 6mm ARC.
Bobby Wayne Howell, Is Rdr2 Worth Playing After Arthur Dies, Death In Longridge, How To Calculate Linear Feet For Fence, George Bush Park Walking Trail, Articles OTHER